KL1 question??????

dtsoll

Enlightened
I recently purchased a surefire KL1. It is an earlier model that appears to have 3 separate parts which are either threaded or pressed together. It appears the inside piece had a gasket or rubber washer which is partly missing. Looks to me like water could get inside of the head itself. I had thought about putting a small ring of epoxy around the joint where the seal is missing but I don't want to ruin it so I couldn't resell it if I decided to. I guess my question is: Would Surefires warranty cover this?? I'll call them myself on Monday but wanted your thoughts since it's Saturday evening. Thanks for your input!!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Calling them is certainly the best way to proceed. I would guess they would have you return it for repair, if that can be done.

Do you plan to take it underwater then?

Al

dtsoll

Enlightened
Al,
No plans to take it underwater /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just buggin me knowing it ain't there. I also need a couple of the plastic wedgies for behind the clip anyway, so, yeah, calling is the really only option. I'm a freak about stuff like this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Thanks Al!! Doug

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the positive pressure test. Stick it on an E2 body, take the tailcap out, stick the head in a glass of water, stick the other end in your mouth and blow. Bubbles are bad as it shows lack of a seal. Make sure you blow as hard as you can.

CM

dtsoll

Enlightened
HeHeHe, Cris, is this the greasy lip trick?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif I would try that but I can definitely see it is missing about half of the seal. I would have been fine if I hadn't noticed it, now I must have it fixed, Yes, I'm a nut, I can't help it!!!! Doug

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought black lipstick was in style /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've seen a few KL1's with what appeared to be a partially missing seal. What happens is that the gasket gets forced into the threads (actually making a tighter seal) while the parts are screwed together. You might have one of these.

CM