Streamlight Stylus vs ARC AAA

Empath

Flashaholic
The Stylus white LED is brighter with twice the runtime. The Arc has a better defined corona, with sharply defined edges. Runtime for the Stylus with 3AAAA's is 10 hours; for the Arc with 1 AAA it's 5 hours. Stylus rated at 12,000 MCD, and Arc at 5600 MCD. The one I use all the time is the ARC.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if Peter made his own version of the 2AAA Stylus? (Complete with pocket clip.) Is it possible to add one more batt to the ARC AAA. And would it have a 10 hour runtime?

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
What if Peter made his own version of the 2AAA Stylus? (Complete with pocket clip.) Is it possible to add one more batt to the ARC AAA. And would it have a 10 hour runtime?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be great. My primary complaint with the white LED Stylus is the length. The two AAAA cell Stylus is the right length, but they're not available in a white LED.

I would suspect that it would have at least 10 hours runtime. Peter would probably regulate it enough to use all the juice.
smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I get a reading of about 18 with the Streamlight and 16 with the Arc, both with new batteries. I also wish someone made a 2 AAA cell version of the stylus.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"What if Peter made his own version of the 2AAA Stylus?"
With pocket clip, hexagonal shape, clickie switch, HA III, recessed LED, I would buy 2.

FNG

Enlightened
I have both the Stylus 3 and Arc AAA. The one I use everyday is the Stylus because of the pocket clip. Everytime I need a light, I just slip it out and put it back in. I like the Arc but its tiring to pull it out everytime you need it. Especially if youre sitting down. Ive used the Stylus for about two months now and every now and then I compare the light output of the two. (Ive never turned on the Arc for more than a minute since I got it. 2 months ago). Light output is about the same.

Brock

Flashaholic
The Arc LE is the same brightness as the Stylus, I should have noted that before I used the standard, more common, Arc for comparison. Sorry for the confusion. And yes after 30 minutes the stylus is dimmer then the Arc.

bwcaw

Enlightened
FYI there are three different versions of the streamlight stylus: the original stylus 2 and 3, and the new stylus 3, now just called the stylus.The defference between the original stylus and the new one is the new one is shorter and has a new brighter led in it.The knurling on the original has been changed to threading to improve the grip and it has a new finish (ha?).If you get the stylus get the new one it is definately better.If you can't find one send me an e-mail and i will get one for you (my dad is a streamlight dealer). Hope this helps.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It's talked about most because its so conveniently small and the batteries is easy to find in a store and replace and the batteries are affordable.

that's three advatages over the photon and stylus.

also it has that circuit in it that keeps the brightness consistently up for five hours. perhaps the stylus can't do this. maybe in a couple of hours or even minutes, the stylus would be dimmer than an arc.

also, it is not true that the arc lasts only five hours but rather it has five hours at most of its brightness, then for a few more hours it dims during its moon mode, which should be a sufficient time for a battery change.

the arc basically uses its batery power better than most small single led lights.

Steve-at-Springboard

Newly Enlightened
My two cents as a dealer for both - if I have a shirt pocket, it has a Stylus in it. For longer usage I use my ARC LE.

BTW, the shorter, 2-cell Styluses (Styli?) were for the red, yellow and, I think, orange LEDs that would run on the lower voltage. The white, blue, green, etc needed the 4.5 volts of the 3 AAAA batts.

However, the Red Styli I have been receiving for the last month or so have THREE AAAA batts and are now as long as the whites. Don't know why. If you want a 2-cell red or yellow, check around quickly, I'm already out.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies, when comparing the stylus and ARC..I decided on the MicroPhoton because I have had good experiences with it..and because its so small. My old Photon is just a shell now, because I took out the LED, to place in my truck's alarm indicator.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
The Arc LE is the same brightness as the Stylus, I should have noted that before I used the standard, more common, Arc for comparison. Sorry for the confusion. And yes after 30 minutes the stylus is dimmer then the Arc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brock, I see you got an ARC LS v1.0 and put it on your test chart. Does your ARC LS have the newer narrow optic or the older optic collimator. It's brighter (with lithium AAs) than the Trek 1900!
shocked.gif
I can't wait until Wednesday when I get mine!
smile.gif

Back on topic:
I had the Stylus but it's just too long, I use a Photon II instead, much smaller & just a bit dimmer.