German 'Flashlight Tuner'

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
German \'Flashlight Tuner\'

I know these things were discussed awhile back, but a forum search failed to turn up anything. I recently got one of these, and finally put a page up about it.
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/tuner.htm

Does anyone else have this product, and if so, did you find it at all useful - even if that only meant sparing your Mini-Mag from the outside garbage can?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: German \'Flashlight Tuner\'

That looks like it would be really cool with a LS mod maglite.Do you think it would work with one of these mods,or does it need a bulb?
troy

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone else have this product, and if so, did you find it at all useful

Yep, t`was me who originally bought one following a post where someone`d seen them for sale (they`re avaliable at Toolshop by the way). It`s a decent enough little thing, the white LED is a bit brighter than an Infinity and a nice colour, but the red was a bit of a let-down. Dim and very ringy, plus when I metered the current draw, it took more on the red setting than it did on the white! Probably a result of the LED`s lower voltage, being overdriven more than the white (I think they both run from the step-up circuit?). It would be OK for signalling, and definately good night-vision preserving (astronomy, etc...).

I like the very solid construction- when it`s turned to change modes it feels smooth and extremely durable with a satisfying soft "click" at each setting, unlike the head of my Minimag which is too loose and wobbly. Trouble is, the Tuner isn`t waterproof unlike the Mag. A suction test showed air leaked round the LEDs. It would be OK in a brief downpour, but don`t drop it in a lake!

I don`t like the fact that it`s not anodised or coated in any way. Craig, I think you noted on your review that you thought yours could`ve been an early sample or prototype, but believe me- it`s not. They all come like that. Mag-like anodising would be a great improvement, plus they could offer them in colours to match non-silver ones. It looks slightly out of place on kmy blue one. I also don`t like the fact that they didn`t supply a battery spring and you have to take the one from the Mag`s tail cap to use. I dropped mine initially and couldn`t find it again for ages
rolleyes.gif

Overall it`s a great little accessorry for an underperforming torch I think. Can`t remember the cost, but it`s more than your average Minimag (at least by USA prices, europeans have to pay more for their mags), so it may not be to everyone`s tastes. But if you don`t like carrying lots of lights with you, (and can put up with the Minimag`s yellow ringy beam!) I`d reccomend the Tuner. 3 lights in one!

grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Yep, t`was me who originally bought one following a post where someone`d seen them for sale (they`re avaliable at Toolshop by the way). It`s a decent enough little thing, the white LED is a bit brighter than an Infinity and a nice colour, but the red was a bit of a let-down... Dim and very ringy... It would be OK for signalling, and definately good night-vision preserving (astronomy, etc...).

I like the very solid construction- when it`s turned to change modes it feels smooth and extremely durable with a satisfying soft "click" at each setting, unlike the head of my Minimag which is too loose and wobbly. Trouble is, the Tuner isn`t waterproof unlike the Mag. A suction test showed air leaked round the LEDs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This almost looks like a copy of my review - I noted all the same things in the exact same manner, and I see I'm not the only one who sucks on flashlights before committing them to a potentially fatal water test. :
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

The lack of water resistance, lack of anodizing, and dimmer than expected red LED took a potential star off its rating. Otherwise, I really like the product, and it can save a Mini-Mag from ending up in the outside garbage can.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting little attachment-

Is there any light visible from the Mag bulb when the LED's are in use?
Figured since the current is passing through it, it may glow a bit, albeit dimly-

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there any light visible from the Mag bulb when the LED's are in use?

Nope. The LEDs take around 40-60mA (from memory) which isn`t enough to light the Mag bulb.

I do wonder, however, if that New-Beam LED retrofit in another discussion (I remarked about using it with the Tuner), would work with it? Since LEDs will light on lower currents, there may be enough flowing to make them glow, sucking power away from the Tuner (higher effective resistance?).

Right now, only one man here would be able to try it....mr Johnson?

shocked.gif
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

That`s where I got mine from. Good service and no P+P within Europe/UK. It`s not listed in the flashlights section though and I couldn`t find it when writing my post up there. Thanks
grin.gif