Any bowlers in here?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I haven't bowled in forever now. So I can't offer much.

We were in a league most of the year. I wasn't very good, but could kick arse once in a while.

It was fun!

Good Luck with it!!!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool V8! My wife and I were in a bowling league for a few years with our son. It was more fun than I care to admit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

You WILL buy your own shoes and ball(s)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Clay (the son) bowled a 300 game and got a ring. Cool. I once bowled a 279 and actually had 14 X's in a row but split between two games. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Have fun!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I used to enjoy bowling, and even asked "Santa Claus" for a bowling ball with my name on it one year and have it drilled out to fit my fingers, but there were no custom bowling ball places in Juneau at that time, so I never did get that ball.

The last time I went bowling was probably in the late-1980s; the electric wheelchair kinda puts a damper on things these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I used to bowl in leagues up till about 4 years ago. Definitely buy your own shoes, your feet will thank you if you start league play. Don't buy the cheapest, but about $35-$45 spent on shoes that fit and feel good will make bowling just that much more enjoyable. They should last for years.

You do want your own ball, the question is when is the right time to buy. I could never recommend a ball type without seeing you bowl. Your skill level determines which ball type to get. I might check into getting a ball 2nd handed from somebody. The holes can be filled and the ball redrilled to fit your grip. This can be a way to get a better ball for not as much money as new. You can bang around with it and develop a throwing motion. As your skill grows, you can get an idea for what kind of new ball you would like to get to compliment your throw, then buy it with less guilt about replacing the first ball. Pro shop owners can help you a lot with this.

Enjoy bowling, there is a great satisfaction when you nail a turkey in the 10th frame for the first time.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying bowling equipment is a major investment so I suggest you think it over before seriously considering it. It's not as simple as having a ball and shoes unless you want it to be a once or twice a month thing. Pretty soon you'll need a bag to put everything in it. You'll need to purchase a wrist brace unless you have strong wrists. Bowling ball cleaners to maintain the balls surface unless you can afford to replace it every couple of months. The accessories are endless just like flashlights. The better you become, the more you'll want/need. But IMO, by far the biggest expense you'll have is bowling lane fees. Once you get hooked, you'll probably be doing it 2 to 3 times a weeks at a minimum playing four games at least each time.

You definitely will need your own ball because you need to have it drilled to your hand size & specs. The logic here is to put as little strain on your body as you can by tailoring the ball specs to your hand.

When looking for shoes, I suggest Linds, Dexter, or ABS. They are more expensive but it pays off in the long run because they don't seem to break ever. You'll probably end up replacing them because you're tired of them and want new shoes before actually wearing them out.

Go to www.ballreviews.com. It's a very comprehensive forum discussing everything you need to know regarding bowling. I was once a very active member there before I discovered CPF. It's been months since I last visited there.

Be careful, being a flashaholic and a bowler at the same time is very costly because they're both very expensive hobbies. Trust me, I've been bowling more than 10 years 2 to 3 times every week and I can't even get past the mid level stage to the serious competitive stage due to budget constraints. Having all the newest and coolest equipment won't do you any good if you don't practice and bowling requires lots of practice. Remember the pros who're averaging 200 above usually practice upwards of 40 games a week. Discovering CPF last year hasn't been of any help to my game and has actually made the situation rather worse for me but I'm not willing to give up either one.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to discourage you from jumping into this but you better be prepared for some serious commitment or you'll end up with more frustration than you bargained for. But then again, if you don't mind being stuck with averages in the 120's, you should be fine however little time you can devote to it. But if that is the case, why bother purchasing your own equipment? The main purpose to do it is to improve.

Good luck.