Found some DoubleBarrel 6AAs

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Thanks!

I just ordered four for LED conversions.

Good find, and less than half the price of what others have been asking for them lately!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by revolvergeek:
Uh.. Did you see that that also have the 8AA for the same price!?!?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. I ordered one of each and got the qty discount. Cool.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Wayne!

Now I have no remaining qualms about seeing just how far I can go with bulb wattage and the OEM reflector without damaging it.

I now need to rethink how to deploy the 2450 mA NiMH A cell packs I bought last week. It looks like I'll need to cut some more of them apart.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lemlux - I know you know one safe haven for 6pcs of them
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
- at least I now have something to trade against
cool.gif

Klaus

JollyRoger

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
Thanks Wayne!

Now I have no remaining qualms about seeing just how far I can go with bulb wattage and the OEM reflector without damaging it.

I now need to rethink how to deploy the 2450 mA NiMH A cell packs I bought last week. It looks like I'll need to cut some more of them apart.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll buy some from you! I might need a couple more....

BTW, cut them apart?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
JollyRoger:

The A battery 6-packs come in two side-by-side rows of 3 batteries end to end. These 7.2V packs are surplus which was originally constructed for laptop computers.

I will use some packs in multiples of 2, 4, or 6 packs (typically the lower capacity 2100 mAh cells) as the power source on some project lights that consist of miscellaneous parts.

In addition, I have already broken up several 2450 mAh packs and will break up more to fill up the increasing number of DB's I'm acquiring and will convert. Given that the A cell has 35% more capacity than an 1800 mAh AA cell, The A cell's attractiveness in a DB stripped of non-productive AA spacers and caddies is significant. I will consider selling off some 2100 mAh packs as I'm not sure that the 300 mAh advantage over an 1800 mAh AA is worth the hassle.

As I posted earlier, look for industrial liquidator's occasional auctions for 10 @ of the 2100 packs. I won an auction last week and was allowed to upgrade to a 2450 pack. The 2450 packs are more sought after, as you can imagine, and you have to be nimble to get them.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne:

A cells are the same 50.5 mm long as AA cells.

A cells are the same 17 mm circumference as a lithium 123 cell. An AA cell has a 14.3mm diameter.

The increased diameter is what permits the 35% higher capacity. The DB AA flashlights are curiously designed to accept either A cells or AA cells with the diameter-reducing inserts that come with the DB 4AA's and the battery caddies that come with the DB 6AA and DB 8AA.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
WayneM:

Here's a link to the site from which I've made my purchases. 4 batches of 10@ 2100 packs (60 @ 2100 mAh A cells) have 0 offers at a starting price of $25 and there is about 16 hours left to go.

If you don't have access to any 2450 mAh A cells you might feel good about paying $0.41 each for 2100 mAh A cells requiring disassembly rather than paying $1.95 or $2.00 @ for 1800 mAh AA's at the best internet pricing.

Edit: BTW, your will probably need to use a universal battery charger capable of handling C and D cells in addition to AA and AAA cells in order to get the A cell to fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1351226202

Edit: I noticed that the auction closed with only one of the 4 lots of 10 battery packs sold. Retail for 1800 mAh AA's runs upward of $12 a four pack. You guys could have had 60 2100 mAh A's for the retail price of 8 1800 mAh AA's.

machspass

Newly Enlightened
Is there a 4AA version of this flashlight? From the above postings, I gather there is such a model, but Nick and Jack don't carry it on their web site. Is this correct?
confused.gif

I like the side by side battery design alot, like with the PT attitude. I don't really need more than 4 batteries.
smile.gif

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
Machspass,

Nickandjack appear to have only the 6AA and 8AA (but I haven't inquired).

I believe there is also a 4AA version, and I know there is a 4AAA version (bought several).

It seems there is also a 2AAA version (cute), sold as a keychain light, but I haven't been able to find one.

machspass

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I'll check Office Depot, as well as check for some of the other models. It looks like a solidly built flashlight.
smile.gif

Mike

Newly Enlightened
Yes the 4AA DoubleBarrel does still exist although they are hard to find. I still have a few and am modifying them with 7 LEDs and regulators for sale on ebay.

Here's my latest now with a turbo button for those times you need a little extra light. I'm selling this one cheaper since it is my first experiment with a turbo switch.

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
So Mike,

Which which turquoise Nichias are you using - narrow or wide beam? Do you care to share some details on your regulator circuit? I'll take as much info as you're willing to give!!

Mike

Newly Enlightened
WayneM,

I'm using the 30 degree Turquoise LEDs. E-mail me if you want some ($2.35 each).

I've used the Max757 step-up and the MAX667 low drop-out linear regulator in the lights I've sold on E-Bay. Each has it's advantages. The 757 gives longer runtime at full brightness, but then drops off quickly. The 667 will run about 20 hours after the batteries are discharged to the point the can't drive the LEDs at full brightness.