How a TIROS optic from the Inova XO look like?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIROS-optic.jpg

Nope, don't ask how I got it. I just feel that it's a tad too long

Azreal911

Enlightened
it's like a very deep prism! cool! how much r&d did they put into that sucker to get such a beam??

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would rather they have a 123 in place of the optic. It really takes up way too much space.

And for those aspiring to mod the XO, don't bother with the water inside tube freezing method. It's not going to work for the XO, and I suspect, for any of inova's lights using a optic.

If anyone has opened a XO before, please pm me on some tips to remove the circuit area. Thanks!

Fat

Newly Enlightened
Thats an eye opener.i always wondered how it looked like from the outside.

albert

Enlightened
On second closer look, it really look like a **** head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
albert said:
On second closer look, it really look like a **** head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it looks like the entire {vulgar term for male urinator/inseminator}. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I just took the cells out of my X0 and laid them end-to-end next to the flashlight, and there's definitely a lot of room left over at the front end of the flashlight.

I don't know how to remove the optic either; so please don't ask. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
If you can't remove it with the water trick, then how does One go about removing it? I still think the T- and XO-series Inovas would be well suited for an IMS mod. Could really shorten them down that using a reflector instead of that optic.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight: You're probably right on the ridges - they look rather like a Fresnel compound lens, though the shape's not quite the same - similar function, though.

Is the rest of the optic, like the bottom two-thirds, meant to reflect the light up? I'm just wondering if that's all solid inside, to carry the light into the lens, or if it's hollow.

Azreal911

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nikon said:
Does anyone know if the optic would work as well if the front were smooth instead of having all those ridges?

[/ QUOTE ]

if they took out the ridges it would just be a diffuse beam like any other typical led light. those ridges work in the same concept of a lighthouse lens which projects all light forward instead of a scattered direction.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Nerd said:
TIROS-optic.jpg

Nope, don't ask how I got it. I just feel that it's a tad too long

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the rest of the light still useable? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light would have been usable, if I hadn't tried the water trick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The circuit is jammed in there really good.... reeeeeally goooood... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW I accidentally damaged a few areas of the optics. If anyone wants a closer pic or a higher resolution pic, or a different angle, please either post here, or PM me. I'll see what I can do.

Tentou

Newly Enlightened
Whoa...that looks really awesome. I wonder how much CAD time they needed to make that shape? It'd be neat to measure its reflectivity and transmission properties and then do some drop testing and stress testing on it.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Special request pic.

Can you point a laser snug against the led cavity at an angle? We can study what the optic does with a linear ray. I can't remember who taught me that but it's great for understanding the dynamics of an optic.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, I have plenty of lasers here.
Some red diode laser diodes, pointers, & modules at ~645nm (up to 5mW), several red HeNe plasma lasers at 632.8nm (up to 6.8mW), a yellow DPSS laser at 593.5nm (5mW), a green HeNe plasma laser at 543.5nm (approx. 10µW), several green DPSS laser pointers at 532nm (up to 58mW), and an argon ion laser at 488nm (16mW). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most of these are TEM00, but the yellow laser is intermittently TEM01 if the lens is removed.

No TIROS optic out of an Inova X0 though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif