Laser injures Delta pilot's eye

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Laser injures Delta pilot\'s eye

So? Did the laser bounce off the window from someone on the inside or what? I guess if the laser was in the IR or UV range you would not see it at all, unlike the red dot those pointers produce. I was trying to use one a friend had and the beam was so small I could not see it, so basically it was on in my hand and I was moving it around holding it to my face to read any markings on how to turn it on. I almost pointed the busy end in my eye, but he grabbed it from me and pointed it something and pointed to the beam. I did finally see it.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast

"A pilot flying a Delta Air Lines jet was injured by a laser that illuminated the cockpit of the aircraft"
and
"The plane's two pilots reported that the Boeing 737 had been five miles from the airport when they saw a laser beam inside the cockpit,"

If the lazer was from the ground, the individual must have had super steady nerves and coordination to follow a moving plane.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats how i read it too. Either it was from in the cabin or a ground based high tech rig and not some fool with a laser pointer drinking a beer.

*Retired*

It was common for the russians to laze the US pilots to get them to fly away. Usually they just used power levels that caused temporary blindness.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast

NewBie, was the russians warnings from the ground or from the air? From the article above,I figured if it was from the ground, the pilots would have reported seeing a lazer beam 'flash inside of the cockpit' or something similar.