PT attitude stuff

Everett

Newly Enlightened
hello everyone. i have been lurking on cpf for at least a year now and decided to show myself since i have some info you might find useful.

1. i have seen a lot of posts asking about PT attitude runtime tests. the package claims that it'll go for 150 hours, which most people tend not to believe. BELIEVE IT! i have an attitude which is about 2 years old. after those 2 years of infrequent use, the original batteries were still in it, and it looked pretty dim. i decided to turn it on and leave it on. at first it dimmed a bit, down to the point where you can see stuff about 3 or 4 feet away in a dark room and no more. after reaching that point, it didn't dim any more. that was 2 weeks ago today. right now, it is putting out enough light to navigate in complete darkness after doing so non-stop for 336 hours, and those hours after about a total of 4 spanned over 2 years. i am absolutely amazed.

2. i know this should be in the mods section, but i have to add it in. some people have asked if anyone put more leds in an attitude. i have. here's a picture (this one is different from the one doing the runtime test):
collage.JPG

-everett

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice. How did you get the module apart and put it back together? I've been wanting to short out or remove the resistor in an Attitude module, so it would run direct drive, then put it in a Blast (2AAA) housing using the new L92 1.7 volt lithium cells. With 3.4 volts it should produce a reasonable amount of light for a very long time.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
if you pry carefully on all four corners the board will come up off the plastic bumps. be careful not to lose the switch. after just push it back on and smash the plastic bumps down a little to keep it on. i tried putting the head into a blast once and it was too dim. i never thought of removing the resistor.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice work, Everett, and welcome to the forum. I've had an Attitude for about two years now, too, and the original batteries are still in it. It's become the glove box light so it sees little use. Now it's about as bright as an Arc AAA (or Dorcy AAA). Thought about putting in new batts, but maybe there's a few more hours left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Everett, thanks for the disassembly info. A Blast with the Attitude module will be very dim on alkaline batteries (3 volts), even without the resistor. The key is to use the new L92 lithium batteries which have slightly higher voltage. That should produce reasonable output. You should even get reasonable output with the resistor in place, but more output without the resistor. I have a Minimag set up with L91 AA lithiums and a 3mm led, and it's a little brighter than an original CMG Infinity (dimmer than an Ultra). The Attitude module with two L92's and direct drive should be somewhat brighter than an Ultra, because of the three leds.

Also, the Attitude on four L92's should have very long shelf life and a flatter discharge curve than it has with alkalines.

georget98

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Everett, thanks for the disassembly info. A Blast with the Attitude module will be very dim on alkaline batteries (3 volts), even without the resistor. The key is to use the new L92 lithium batteries which have slightly higher voltage. That should produce reasonable output.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shorted the resistor in my Attitude head and put it on a Blast body with L92s. Perhaps I didn't do something right, but the end result is a bit dimmer than an Arc AAA-P (2003 CPF).

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF Everett, and why dontcha stay awhile!

Thanks for the info, and the idea for a 5-led attitude!

welcome again,
daloosh