Arc Purchase Poll Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EchoSierraTwo

I want to purchase a light. I have narrowed it down to the Arc4+ and the Arc LSHF-P. Please let me know your thoughs, opinions, experiences, uses, etc.

oldtimer

Enlightened
If you want reliability, the Arc LSHF-P. The quality control and design of the Arc4+ was never that great since they were rushed out.

paulr

Flashaholic
What do you want it for? If it's for collecting purposes, you have to decide which light you think is more significant and more meaningful to you. If it's for use, keep in mind that the manufacturer is out of business and that the Arc4 will be very hard for anyone else to service if something goes wrong with the electronics.

I've never been crazy about the LSHPF concept and would rather have the regular LSHP and maybe install a reflector mod if a suitable one can be had. However, I'd also think of other lights like a Firefly (if you want a small light), an Aleph (if you want ergonomics), an E1e/KL1 combo, etc.

If you're thinking of an Arc4, unless you can get a good price (which isn't impossible), you're probably better off with one of the coming HDS lights which are similar.

oldtimer

Enlightened
Yes. Come to think of it, the HDS would be a MUCH better light than the Arc4+ since it's been indevelopment for ~ a year more.

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Hey F.T.,

Why not wait a couple of weeks for the HDS lights to start (hopefully) trickling out of the oven. As per the specs, they should be the benchmark for small EDC's.

I'm going to pick one up but am presently vapor locked as to whether to go Ultimate or Extreme. Because of that I'm holding off until user reports start hitting the form.

BTW, your handle suggests that you might be into MA. I spent 18 years in them until I was just too beat up to perform at my usual level. Now it's just weights, aerobic stuff, and a little bag work.

X33

Enlightened
I think both lights are quite a bit different. I started with the LSHFP. Great light. Nice beam. Lots of light for its size. After a while I wished I had a lower output option. Then I got the ARC4+. Several output levels, programmable etc etc. I would say I prefer the LSHF for its simpler body design and the beam . The ARC4 I like for its features, but there are more things that could go wrong I suppose. Also I find the hotspot in the ARC4 beam smaller with more sidespill. Even an HDS will outdated someday. Its probably a bit like classic cars. People get one for the look and the driving experience I suppose. Even if they could get something faster and more reliable for less money. Just my thoughts.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
"deleted after hearing the words of my dad echo in the back of my head "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all"

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
What do you want it for?

[/ QUOTE ]

For a new EDC. Nothing wrong with my LSH-P. She has serverd me well. I think I want to pass it along to someone else (Marine Brother of mine).

[ QUOTE ]
Byron Walter said:
Hey F.T.,

Why not wait a couple of weeks for the HDS lights to start (hopefully) trickling out of the oven.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all practicality you are correct. My wife will love you for suggesting it. But Im not practical at all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Why just have one, huh? LOL! I have been thinking and reading the posts over at HDC-HQ and like what I have read thus far. My only gripe the basic is simple like I like it, but is light on he lumens. Im still up in the air if I want to spring for the extra features that I probably will not use.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, your handle suggests that you might be into MA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Byron, eversince my mother took me to see Bruce Lee Si Gung in Enter the Dragon (re-release in theaters). I have taken Gung Fu since I was six. Im thirty five now.

X33, I hear ya, taken under advisement. Thanks

Double_A, Im not like others that roam these forums that have thin skins, Im from NYC BABY! Always feel free to speak your mind and never second guess yourself. That's what I and others have fought for. As for the voices, cant do nothing for you brother /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Hey FT,

To be fair you really must have an HDS Ultimae & Arc4. Let them go head to head! I love the adjustable settings on my Arc4. I set it up the day it arrived and haven't made any changes since then (primary/secondary set at 4 & 9). However I probably use it most on level 16, which doesn't seem to affect my night vision.

As for MA, I did mostly Long Fist stuff. But unfortunately my hips are diced up and I can't do some of the basics, like stances and ground work. I did about 2 years of full contact and during that time I was "dialed in".

Boy, I wish that I had started at age 6. Starting very young is the way to go. I didn't start until my early twenties.

Gotta go and work on my flashlight forms.... Later

Byron

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Well, I never really kid myself that I'm "investing" when I purchase a light/knife/gps or whatever. But that Longbow does seem like an excellent lil' sucker.

Byron Walter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
b2p said:
You can't compare a HDS Ultimate to an Arc4. The Ultimate is 100x better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, you can't compare it since it currently isn't released. And to be 100 x better would it have to put out, say, 3000 lumens? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If the HDS product is 1.5 times better it will be excellent. I'm pretty keen on buying either the ultimate or the extreme... should be pretty soon!

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
b2p said:
You can't compare a HDS Ultimate to an Arc4. The Ultimate is 100x better.

[/ QUOTE ]

A new light no matter how good or perceived to be good, is not proven until it's release for general use an extended time.

look at what happened to Arc4, it was suppose to be state of the ART. The defective HDS switch design on ARC4 resulted in 98%+ of all the complaints directed towards ARC4.

Since the HDS light has not been released, only beta testers can commment with any validity. Sure hope the switch has been redesigned or simular problems will occur with battery length issues.

Whereas the ARC LSH-P is a proven design with thousands of units in the field in all sorts of real life conditions.

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Funky switch and all, this summer I used my Arc 4 during wilderness travel in pretty extreme conditions. The "4" was absolutely great. I apparently got a pretty good switch with my rev 1 unit. Two weeks of travel and the Arc only used a single battery, since I down-shifted to low settings for most activities.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and love both the Arc LSHF-P and the Arc 4. I voted for the Arc 4 because it is so versatile. With a click or two or three, you can have a very, very dim low beam, a decent high beam and a good middle beam. I think on low the Arc 4 will run constantly for 10 days. The high beam is good for an hour or so.

Although there were some QC issues with the Arc 4, I think those issues are overstated. I have a Rev 1 and have had no problems. But I don't know how repairable the Arc 4 will be. Cy will have a better handle on that. Be sure to check the serial number with Peter's post on the current draw and brightness of each Arc 4 light.

Josey

Status
Not open for further replies.