KL1s are Scarce

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Well, the good news is that I may have just nailed down the last KL1 head available anywhere in the world, and the bad is that I won't know if it is a "new" model or not until it comes. On the other hand, it could be good and bad either way. According to the LED Museaum the new one has a 3W LED and nearly twice the current draw of the old one and that may not be entirely an improvement.

Anyway, Surefire is back ordered for two months on them and other vendors advise they are taking "back orders" and anticipate any received will be selling out the day they arrive.

Has anyone received one of these yet, or have additional comparisons between the new and older heads?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
cliff,

I don't think that the new KL1's have twice the current draw is accurate. If you are referring to the yet unreleased "new model" KL1, I don't know about that. If you are talking about the "old models" that came with high domes, those were definitely runnin at around 350mA.

Surefire hasn't shipped any KL1's in a while. You're probably getting the older model, although it may be the one with the high dome in it. But, of course, I could be wrong.

tracker870

Enlightened
What's the real scoop on production of these?
Are they made by the Surefire "Elves" somewhere snowy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
OK, but really, I'd like a KL1, but I guess I can wait.
It wouldn't hurt for me to spread out these light purchases! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

M

MeridianTactical

I'll have new ones in a few days... I have had these on BO for MONTHS!!!!

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm. On Monday Surefire advised me they would be getting them in 6 - 8 weeks. On Wednesday they ship them out, by which time I have scoured the globe and secured an "old model."

This may be a blessing in disguise though, because it looks like the new model is quite a bit different, and might be better to have "in addition to" rather than "instead of."

M

MeridianTactical

BTW: No price increase for the new version...