Pelican L1 water resistance

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Introduction: I would like to submit the results of my scientific evaluation of the water resistance of the Pelican L1 single LED pocketlite.

Methods and Materials: Last weekend, after careful planning, I donned my custom equipped (flares, shark-knife, signal whistle and mirror, Pelican L1, etc. etc.) life vest and took off on a surf kayaking adventure off the Ventura coast in Southern California. At a predetermined point in exactly 1 meter of ocean water, I deftly maneuvered my kayak into the path of a breaking wave in such a way that I was rapidly ejected (head over heels, actually) into the aforementioned salty fluid. After undergoing this testing protocol, I returned home and rinsed my vest for 15 seconds in a gentle spray of fresh water. Next day, under carefully controlled conditions (picnic table), I removed my Pelican L1 from the life-vest and activated the rotating bezel.

Results: The Pelican L1 didn't work worth poop. Upon further inspection, the batteries were found to be corroded together by a rather gooey orange substance remarkably like rust.

Conclusion: Believe what Pelican says when they say the L1 is "water resistant".

Thank you.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to amend my scientific study as follows: "I pressed the tail pushbutton switch and the L1 didn't work worth poop."

Thank you for your edit Mr. Glow.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx, I actually didn't know, because my L1 is almost 2 years old now. One other thing that happens is that the rubber pushbutton boot wears away to nothing- pretty fast from abrasion in your pocket-leaving just a black little tiny pushbutton.

I don't know about waterproof, but it has been a pretty rugged little light that has gotten a lot of use
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
In my experience, water goes in primarily through the rubber switch button, and to a lesser degree through the bezel. It will shrug off an occasional rain shower, but you don't want to have it go down the toilet unless you want to spend the next ten or fifteen minutes cleaning & disinfecting it.

I've managed to break the clip off one, but that may have been my fault. They appear to be tough little lights if you don't ask of them what they cannot give.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you 100%. My other L1 works great hanging around my neck as a better light source than the other gadgets that Nintendo sells when I'm in a dark place trying to play with my Gameboy Advance.

Eppe's Corner

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone:
grin.gif
smile.gif

As an Industrial Distributor of
Pelican, I can say that the "L1"
is not an underwater light.

We must always listen to our leader
at "LED Museum".
All over the world, the LED Museum is
looked to for the information that counts.

While the infamous Out-Of-This- World "LightMobile" has not
been shown for awhile, this futuristic
vehicle that slightly resembles a wheel
chair is the LED vehicle of the future ?
Well maybe ???
-------------------------
I will be curious to see if our great see-all-know all-leader at the great halls at
the LED Museum, will agree with our
feelings on the NEW !!! "CMG REACTOR" ???
-------------------------
With the newly designed Fresnel Lens and
the newly designed circuit board along
with a pure white LED , this light
will be brighter then many 4-LED flashlights
and throw further as well.

THIS Very HOT,HOT LIGHT WILL BE -----

SMMMMMMMOKIN'

CMG and Tektite are, I think leading the
pack with Fresnel Lens Technology.

Thanks

Gary