Anyone got a solar cell?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
http://toyletbowlbbs.home.att.net/poop.jpg
This is what happens when the oscilloscope probe tip holding the cell pops out of the socket and the whole wire falls & slaps against a tripod. Some people seem to have all the luck.
tongue.gif
blush.gif
x.gif

Guess I won't be doing any tests requiring this particular cell for awhile. There's still a usable piece left, but I'll need to get my hands on a good soldering iron before it can be fixed.

sflate

Enlightened
I've got a ton of solar cells. It's been a long time since I've checked to see what I have. I know for sure I have 4 inch round ones. Will that do? I can send you a few if you like? I may have some that I've cut in 1/2 or some in 1/4. Which would be better for you? Email me your address.

Brock

Flashaholic
Craig is that the one from R/S? If it is I will send mine with the M6 and Green Laser relatively soon (shortly after I get the laser)
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Craig is that the one from R/S? If it is I will send mine with the M6 and Green Laser relatively soon (shortly after I get the laser)
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This cell was custom-made and calibrated for photometrics. I think it came out of one of the NASA programs. I don't know the specifics on its origin or where to obtain a replacement.

As for its chemistry, it almost looks like an amorphous monocrystalline type built on a single crystal of silicon; rather than the much more common, blue-colored "fractured-look" vitreous polycrystalline variety that you usually find at Radio Shack.

As long as I can get a wire soldered to the largest piece, it'll work fine. I'll pick up a new iron the next time I have $ to spare, and then I'll be in good shape.