I really could use the Experts Advise!

Maker102

Newly Enlightened
Its getting kind of close to Christmas and I thought of getting my wife a decent flashlight for the holidays. A little about her, she is a Registered Nurse and Emergency Medical Tech. This means she will be working in a hospital setting as well as on an ambulance. I was thinking of going with an LED flashlight due to their compact design. This would help on examinations as well as use on the ambulance and in the field. I would like to get one that has a pinpoint beam that is adjustable to a flood for field work. Is there an all around flashlight that fits the bill? I would like to keep the cost around $100.00 give or take. Which ones do the "Experts" recommend? Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maker102,

What you're describing is a mini mag with a sandwiche in it. Since it is a possibility that she will be using it for longer runs rather than just intermittent use, I would suggest a MM+ WO sandwiche. Sandwicheds can be had for as little as around $30 and the mini mag is up to you.

Now that I think about it, you could also go for the Nexgen converter that should be available soon. It will give you full regulation.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Light Rover is a great light. they claim 6-8 hours or runtime on one set of cells. It's pretty bright, and has on/off/momentary switch as well as a handy little holster. It's also really sturdy in case she were to accidently drop it. you could pick her up this light from the link above and a box of 40 CR123A cells or so from Battery Station for around $50 after shipping and all. So there's your $100 investment right there.

Shane

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I'm an EMT myself, and I carry a holster that includes a "mini-flashlight" section. Either a Mini-Mag with a sandwich or a Streamlight Lux Jr. will fit quite nicely in this section. These may not be the sexiest lights around, but they'll give her many hours of reliable service.

If you do a Mini-Mag, don't forget the Kroll switch. Not only does this allow momentary use of the light, but also allows the light to be turned on and off with the same hand that holds the light, which is very useful in EMS work.

Also, she will still have to carry a penlight to check for pupil response. Any of the lights recommended here are WAY too bright for this purpose.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The Streamlight Stylus is very popular with people in the medical profession.

If you buy her the Stylus be sure to get extra batteries when you order it. The batteries are more expensive in a store. The batteries last a long time and two extra sets of batteries will last her a very long time.

I think she would be well served by a MiniMag with a Sandwich or a Streamlight Junior Luxeon and a Stylus.