Surefire E2E vs. Outdoorsman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the Surefire website, I can't tell the difference between these two models. What feature(s) distinguish these models?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey 357

The outdoorsman comes with a nice long clip and a lower power lamp (MN02), while the E2e has the brighter MN03 lamp and a shorter clip. Brighter means less runtime, tho, so take that into consideration.

No matter which one you get, it's not a bad ideer to get the other lamp, so you are prepared for both sides of the coin, more runtime less lumens, or more lumens and chew thru batteries faster.

I think SF sez 25 lumens and two and a half hours for the MN02 and 60 lumens and one and a quarter hours for the MN03. DON'T put an MN01 in it (that's designed for the E1e), which of course I have done by accident (phhzt, fried lamp!).

I think some people think the longer clip is better for putting the light on your cap bill, but I've only had E2es, and been very happy with em.

daloosh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the explanation.

When the time comes, I'll probably go with the Outdoorsman.

I'm not looking to buy an E2E/Outdoorsman anytime soon, but one day would like to get one (maybe three months from now) since it is a little smaller and has stronger finish than the 6P series. My next priority is an L4, which if I understand correctly is the size of E2E but uses a 5 watt LED. I'm an LED guy first......

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
The longer clip may be a benifit. I wish I had one as I find the shorter E2e clip a little shorter than I'd like.
The outdoorsman or E2o will provide a clamed 2.5 hrs of use. I purchaced an mn02 or my E2e and I like it very much.
The mno3 starts to dim after 10 minutes or so. So the 'wow factor' (at least for me) starts to wear off quickly. The outdoorsman is the light I should of purchased originaly.

Both lights are nice.(practicaly loose them in your pocket of relaxed fitting jeans) The E2e will suprise the unexpected with it's size and brightness, but the mno2 (factory outdoorsman bulb) does it for me with it's nice runtime and long lasting white light. Not to mention less produced heat.

Parker

Newly Enlightened
I have an E2O and really like it. I have both bulbs, but have never used the 60 lumen bulb. It is the light that I typically carry and fits nicely and securely (thanks to the long clip) in a vest pocket. The 2.5 hour run time appears to be fairly accurate. It does what I need it to and it does it well.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, let me ask this.

Does it maitain good brightness for 2.5 hours? Or is it really dim by that time?

How much light does it emit with fresh batteries...i.e. can someone compare it to other lights that emit similar output? Is it geared toward flood or throw, or both (like most Surefires seem to be)?

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
Okay, let me ask this.

Does it maitain good brightness for 2.5 hours? Or is it really dim by that time?

How much light does it emit with fresh batteries...i.e. can someone compare it to other lights that emit similar output? Is it geared toward flood or throw, or both (like most Surefires seem to be)?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know for certain how long it will run, but it never left me stranded. I've had it on for a constant 2 hrs while replacing a fuel pump on my neighbors car (raining at night always) and it was still bright.

Its a classic combo of throw and spill. Typical surefire beam.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
if your getting a L4 first anyway dont worry so much about the e2 series - the L4 has a slightly more flood beam than the e2e but - you can run the L4 on pilas without any loss in output - and you can put a mce2s tailcap on it so you get low output and high output just by pressing a bit harder - much better than swapping globes around to change brightness

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your going to buy the L4....buy a replacement E2e head and one each of the two lamps from Surefire, that way you can convert your L4 to and E2e and get both 60 lumen and 25 lumen incandescent output as desired.

GregR

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
If you're going to get a L4 I recommend you get a L4 and an E1e and a Pila 168S.

With these two lights and the MN02,MN03 you can have:
L4
E2e
E1e
TW4 (E1e/KL1)

IMHO if you get a L4 with Pilas you won't use your E2e much if at all.

The TW4 makes a great EDC light. This gives you a reason to get the R123s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Echo63 said:
if your getting a L4 first anyway dont worry so much about the e2 series - the L4 has a slightly more flood beam than the e2e but - you can run the L4 on pilas without any loss in output - and you can put a mce2s tailcap on it so you get low output and high output just by pressing a bit harder - much better than swapping globes around to change brightness

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do I get Pila? What about Pila battery charger and battery checker?

Pila sounds handy so I can have guilt free lumens in L4. What other Surefire lights does Pila work in?

Any non-Surefire lights does Pila work in? Pelican M6 LED?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
You can get your Pila batteries from J.S. Burly's

You can use Pilas in Surefire three cell lights without modification or you can use a Pila 3.7 volt lamp in a G2,C2,6P etc.

You can also use the Pila 3.7 volt lamp in a E2e/L4 if you use a E2C and a Z44 bezel.

The E2C is an addaptor that allows you to use a classic size Surefire bezel on a "E" series light. McGizmo & DSpeck made E2Cs. jcciv has E2Cs on ebay or you could just send him a PM. jcciv is great to deal with.

The Z44 is a classic size Surefire bezel. The Z44HA is the bezel from a C2HA/C3HA. If you need a black bezel it's called a Z44BK. jcciv also has bezels.

edit: Some Surefire (incandescent & L6) lights need an additional spring to work with Pilas. The springs are free from JS Burly, you just have to ask for them. The springs fit around the stock spring of the lamp assembly. The L4 & L5 don't need the extra springs.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased the E2O because of the small size, longer clip, clickie switch (not all models), and longer lamp life. I thought it would be a perfect combination for camping. It is hard to beat the color spectrum qualities of incandescent on vegetation and 25 lumens seems just about right. I think the only other thing I could ask for is some 3 volt rechargeable 123a batteries that I could use in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif