SL Scorpion vs. ?

cyclight

Newly Enlightened
Newbie question ... I currently use a SL Scorpion as a throw light when I hike. (I also carry a photon as back-up and use a Gerber Tracer headlamp as my normal light.)

I'm wondering how the throw of any of the following lights compare to the Scorpion. (I'd like a smaller light. I'd prefer LED for durability but not necessary) I'm also open for other suggestions. Run time is not an issue.

Inova T1
e1e
Aleph II - single cell 123

Will any of these have throw comparable to or better than the Scorpion?

Thanks

Kiu

Enlightened
The answer is simply No.
T1 will lie on 1xxx lux @1m (if I am correct)
E1e somewhere 1xxx Lux @1m
Aleph II w/LuxIII will below 2000 Lux @1m (below 1000mA).
But Scorpion with freshly 123A's is over 5000lux @1m

Aleph I will do better. I got ~3700 lux @1m with DB1000 T-bin.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surfire E2e is notably smaller than the Scorpion, a bit lighter and would be very close in throw. But it's a lot of money and the Scorpion is a good light for what you want (spare bulb inside is nice in the woods, too).

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
cyclight,

Really, none of the lights that you mentioned would be considered throw lights. Not even the Scorpion. If you want to compare the Scorpion to something (diameter wise), you should look to the Aleph I, or something similar. The Aleph I will easily out throw all that have been mentioned here so far. With the proper bias that is.

An Aleph I on a 1X123 body with a Nexgen converter at 700mA will throw like a beast and you'll get about an hour of runtime with a low Vf luxeon. Using a two stage tailcap, you'll get a lot more than that on the low setting.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aelph out throws the Scorpion ?

Not in your life.

The Scorpion out throws all the 2/123 Surefire lights.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I use a Scorpion for the same thing, and I agree, it does out throw an E2e a little. My preference for throw is an incan, because even if you have an LED that can reach that far, objects tend to look all the same color and I can't see them as well.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can say with certainty that the Aleph I out throws the Scorpion. If a scorpion could throw a beam out past 100 yards, I'd be carrying one. In fact, My Aleph I out throws my M3 with the MN10 LA. The Aleph III plain stomps on the M3, in terms of throw.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
In referring to the throw table by Quickbeam on FlashlightReviews.com, the Scorpion shows a throw of 70. The Strion throws 90 and seems about the same size.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
The Laser Devices OP-6 has a smaller profile because of it's smaller bezel and is very light. Output is 95 lumens of flawless beam pattern. They are also a Rolls Royce quality light with corresponding price tag.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The review I've read of the OP-6 puts it roughly in line with rest of the normal 60 minute runtime two-123A flashlights.

BTW, Do Rolls Royce come with only a 1 year warranty like the OP-6?

cyclight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the information. Maybe I'll try and show for the Bay Area get-together and see if someone has an Aleph I there.

Whenever people find out that I'm passionate about flashlights they think I'm crazy. It's great finding a group that's crazier than I am! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I haven't looked at any recent reviews on the LDI products and have not personally done any pseudo-scientific testing myself. To my eyes, from a brightness standpoint the LDI OP-6 (95Lu) appears to be in between a P60 and P61. I believe that LDI's run-time claim of 1.5 hours for this light is inflated although I haven't timed it. Run-time SEEMS to be somewhere between P60 and P61 which makes sense.

I'm not sure why they only offer a 1 year warranty since they clearly compete with upper end SF's in other respects (including price).

I can say that I experienced a very minor problem with a lamp once. I called LDI, sent them a written request and they promptly sent me another with no questions asked. No receipt was needed or anything. They were clearly more concerned with my satisfaction than any warranty timeframes which they never even asked about.

I'm not sure if my experience was unique or if this is generally how LDI deals with problems.

I hope this helps.