aleph z57

knifebright

Enlightened
I'm about to try to retrofit the z57 guts into an aleph tail cap. anyone do this sucessfully before. It seems like it will work but if i'm going to just destroy both of them let me know
jimmy

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
Not sure, seems like it should though. Please report back.

unnerv

Enlightened
Some mods need to be made to get it to fit. You also can not use the retaining ring to hold the switch in as it is longer than Don's assembly. Seems to me I had to turn down the outside diameter of the switch a bit as well as shorten the button to be able to use Don's switch cover. The z57 switch cover was too long and would not allow for the Aleph to tail stand correctly.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have been suddessful in installing the Z57 guts into The McE2S tail cap with McE2S boot. You can't use the retaining nut as unnerv has stated. I also have to turn down the flange OD on both plastic halves of the Z57 switch housing to get them to slip into the tail cap. All of the components including the rubber boot are held in place by securing the cap snuggly against the batery tube. You will have a good seal against the boot. The assembly IS a "Jack in the Box" if you decide to take the tail cap off the battery tube. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
knifebright,

The easiest way, at this point, to have a tailstanding clickie on an Aleph light would be to use a black Z57 (Z62 I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif) and replace the stock boot retaining ring with a ring that extends beyoud the boot. It prevents the light from going off in you pocket and allows the light to stand on end.

I made a few of these in brass and they may still be floating around. I never did a bunch of them because it was cost prohibitive.