WA01160-U PR Potted Halogen Bulb info

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I ordered a few of the infamous WA 1160 lamps in PR base potted form. My plan is to run them in my 3C Mag host powered by 5 Sanyo CP-1300SCR high output NiCad cells. I have an Aluminum PMR reflector and a UCL lens, so I'm good to go on that front.

My question is; how will the rest of the Mag host hold up to the heat and current draw of this lamp?

Estimated run time on the Sanyos will be around 20 minutes (probably a bit less in reality). Would the Mag bulb post/switch assembly hold up for that long? If not, what would the Hotwire gurus here recommend as a safe maximum for on-off time?

Thanks!

Aloha, illumiGeek (Tim)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be fine.

I run the even more potent 1185 in a Mag 3D with 9AA's and haven't melted anything, nor can I see any signs of stress in the switch or other parts.

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should actually get better than 20 minutes of runtime. I use the WA01183 (4.8V 3.85A) in a Mag 2C on 4xCP1300SCR and I get a solid 18 minutes.

The only thing you need to really worry about on a per-run basis is the melting of the solder blob at the base of the PR base. The WA01183 is hot enough to do this and solder itself to the contact spring in the C bulb pedestal. Yikes!

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, full pack discharges should be ok for all the other parts of the light but do expect to smell plastic vapors.

Wilkey

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Thanks. This should be fun.

I finally get to do something with that old (new) 3C. I bought it quite a while ago for some other project, and then did something else instead... don't even remember what the original idea was? Later I thought about 6 of the Sanyos and a GH24, but they are just slightly too long and would need the tail cap reamed out a bit (was planning on doing that, but never got around to it). But 5 CP-1300SCR will fit with room to spare (and I can even carry a spare 1160 in the tail cap), and the 1160 should kick the crap out of the GH24.

Aloha, iG (Tim)