Beam: E2E vs. E2D vs. G2 vs. L4?

stockae92

Enlightened
so how do the beam of E2E, E2D, G2 and L4 stack up (in terms of throw and flood)? beam shots will be great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i expect G2 out throw everything on the list and L4 end up last

and flood would be the other way around?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you're really talking apples and oranges. The size of the reflector plays a large part in beam characteristics, and the light source also plays a large part.

The E2e and E2D are small lights that have comparable beams. The G2 is a bit bigger and has a bit of a larger beam with a bit more throw. The L4, an LED of course, has a very wide flood with almost no throw.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Chop pretty much has it covered. It's also worth noting that the E2D does throw a tad more than the E2e because of the setup of the bezel.

-Mike

stockae92

Enlightened
cause i am trying to figure out how the E2E and E2D will perform in real life

i have the G2Z and had L4, so i kinda know how they perform. and thus trying to compare E2E & E2D to them and see ...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, my E2e and E2D has a slightly more floody beam than the P60 on my M2 and G2Z. I find the beam of both E2e and E2D good for indoor use but lacks in throw when outdoor is concerned, especially in a jungle where all the green absorbs the light. I don't even dare to think about the L4 for use in the jungle. The L4 to me is only good as a walking light because of it's flood beam.

Steve C

Enlightened
Your expectations are correct. I have all the listed lights except the E2D. I read somewhere that it out-throws the E2e a bit, but no explanation as to how/why was offered.

The L4 is the most recently-acquired of those lights. I bought it and a McGizmo two-speed tailcap, thinking that would be the ultimate general purpose combination. Like pjandyho, I found the L4 sorely lacking for my particular outdoor modus operandi. It is a great light, and I will keep it; but it is no longer my EDC.

Several discussions with McGizmo have made me realize that LED technology is not quite "there" yet; while he can make me an LED light that will out-throw an E-series incan, he cannot do it in a package of equally small size. And that is what I need; something as small, yet powerful, as possible.

FWIW, I find the throw of the E2e adequate for my purposes outdoors, but it is indeed noticeably less than the P60 output from a G2. Not a whole lot, but noticeable. I operate in mainly urban areas where there is usually some ambient light.