quick Surefire question

rifle59

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a SF L2 for a great price (new). The only thing is that when the witness marks are lined up the low level light comes on. If I turn it another 360 degress, then the highbeam won't turn on. (My L1 does not do this when they are aligned). Other than being a nuisance- is this an oddity or do a lot of the SF lights not calibrated with their witness marks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
from what i've observed, the indentations on surefire tailcaps are usually random, such that different tailcaps installed on the same light will align differently.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the marks on my A2 don't quite line up perfectly, but it's pretty close, and with bare hands I can find where I need to be with no problem. .

Mark2

Enlightened
The marks do not match on many Surefire lights, but they are still very useful. They help you remember the correct position. For example, the tailcap of my A2 needs to be a 1/4 turn off.

Flashdark

Enlightened
rifle59

There IS quite a bit of variation in what the flashlights do when the witness marks are aligned. Whatever the tailcap does when the witness marks are aligned is usually consistent from one light to the next - good or bad. You can correct an abberation by purchasing a different tailcap (when & if - I believe they are the Z62). You can also buy a "Sharpie, silver metallic fine-point marker and mark your own. But as one CPFer suggested, just keep rotating until you get what you want. All 5 functions should be in there somewhere - 1. Lockout, 2. push-on for low only (safety position), 3. push easy for low - push harder for high, 4. constant low - push for high, 5. constant high.

Hope this helps.