Spotting humans using blue LED lighting.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever been deep in the woods at night, heard a sound and wondered, "What is that?". While night stream fishing in the Oauchita mountains you may run across an occasional black bear or razorback hog; the razorback hog being the more dangerous of the two. What concerns me more is what kind of humans might be out there.

If I shine a Tektight 7 blue LED light at an animal their eyes will light up. If I shine it at a human usually some of their clothing will light up. It is a great identifying tool.

Anybody know of a brighter blue LED light?

Yes, I'm still a rookie.

Thanks

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by hotfoot:
How about a blue Arc-LS? Its a single LED light but uses the brightest LEDS available now, averaging brightness of at least 10 regular LEDS when driven to spec, and sometimes much much brighter when overdriven
and here for the directlink to the blue one:

http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/bluledarflas.html
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wonder if that one is the regular blue LS or the Royal blue one.
As Craig J. says, the Royal one seems astoundingly bright-especially for phosphorescing. I'm extremely happy with mine.
cool.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Icebreak,

For night ID do you prefer LEDs to high power mini incandescents like the Surefire 2x123's. Are the woods so dense that distance ID is precluded, and is that why you are looking for an LED light?

Brightnorm

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by mr.glow:
I wonder if that one is the regular blue LS or the Royal blue one.
As Craig J. says, the Royal one seems astoundingly bright-especially for phosphorescing. I'm extremely happy with mine.
cool.gif
[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Beats me, but sounds to me like you sure are one lucky guy! Now I'm hankering for a RB SLS1 too...
smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by hotfoot:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by mr.glow:
I wonder if that one is the regular blue LS or the Royal blue one.
cool.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Beats me, but sounds to me like you sure are one lucky guy! Now I'm hankering for a RB SLS1 too...
smile.gif
[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">one thing is for sure.....this RB (with it's 2nd generation optics) makes G.I.T.D. materials glow just sizzlingly bright!
grin.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to be of help, Icebreak!
smile.gif

If you can't get a hold of an RB Arc-LS, there is hope yet in a somewhat longer route. Do you solder?

If yes, I'd buy a raw RB emitter from Mark Hannah and one of dat2zip's most excellent Madmaxes, put a "pill" together and drop it into a Brinkmann 2AA or a Minimag AA+kroll tailswitch. I'm willing to bet it'd be even brighter than the RB Arc-LS.

If you really want an RB Arc-LS, better not ponder too long - I think Arc will stop making them (or have stopped). Not sure how long their existing stock will hold out. If you do buy one and decide to let it go, I'm sure it'll find a buyer here on the CPF
smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Peter G. mentioned awhile back that the RB (emitter only) will be continued by Lumaleds in the 5 Watt version also(!)?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RB will most definitely be in 5W flavor too. Its part no. LXHL-LR5C for the hex star according to their product guide. I'm not sure if Arc is still making RB-based flashlights, though...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I appreciate your direction.

Yes, I do solder. I'm thinking I'll have to eventually develop true mod skills if I want some of the configurations I'm starting to imagine.

Thanks again.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
hotfoot- Yes, I believe this blue LS would be perfect. I wonder if I need to specify "royal". I've got time to figure that out while I figure out how to get this puppy into the personal budget...going to have to limit myself to 2-3 lights per year.

brightnorm- I'm pretty new to this but,actually the Surefires look like they would be a great companion for these woods as well. The thing about blue LEDs is the contrast effect they have between some man-made objects and natural objects. I can shine this TECHTITE in a general direction and if there is anyone out there they will usually light up at 50 yds. or better. Also, a bright blue light seems to have an unnerving effect on critters with questionable intentions, animal or human.

mr.glow- Bet your watch looks nuclear powered!