advancedmart KC-1..??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have just noticed that a dealer here has the new Vortex KC1 in stock and I am curious if anyone has actually purchased this light here.I like this light and remember a thread on it a few months back however a search showed up very little real world information....Not too sure about the value at 50 dollars but if it is as solid as it looks it may be well worth it.I am thinking of adding one of these to my order of the Nuwai Q3.
Vortex

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn!!!!!!!! been waiting for that! Bright guy or tactical someone (WHY too many "Tactical" named shop's to keep track)
had them back ordered 6-7 wk's. cool!!!!! VDG

P.S. anyone know how much shorter a CR2 life span is then a CR123?

anch

Newly Enlightened
I have one i preordered from Vortex Visions. It just arrived several days ago.

Very nice light. Nice white beam. A reflector would be nice. I would prefer it with either:

A. A CR123A - it could easily be bored out to accept it and give longer run time, or

B. Smaller diameter in keeping with the CR2 battery

It is a very cool light though - I have been EDCing it for the past 2 days - very easy to carry in dress pants

For me it is a keeper

Anch

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Zman said:
I just did a quick search and found it out of stock at policegearusa.com for $33.24!!!!
At that price I can see why its out of stock!

[/ QUOTE ]

damn! how much is it at advancemart? VDG

cognitivefun

Enlightened
how long does the battery last in the light?

How bright is the light compared to, say, SL Jr.?

anch

Newly Enlightened
I just turned on both my Streamlight Jr Luxeon and my KC1 side by side. My KC1 has a tighter beam [than the SL] and appears both brighter (perhaps due to the tighter beam) and whiter. I have no idea about the actual runtime. IIRC Imago Metrics lists a manufacturers advertised runtime of 2 hours, but it's hard to believe a single CR2 battery would give that (they also list a 52 lumen output).

I like the KC1 alot, If I could only have one light in this price range I would get a QIII from VIKI, but the KC1 is now one of my 10 favorite EDC lights - after my Aleph 2, Arc 4+, KL1/FB1, KL1/FB2, QIII, Key-Lux AA, Key-Lux N, Arc LSH-S, and Longbow Micra. I wish the KC1 was HA-III though.

Anch

cognitivefun

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
anch said:
I just turned on both my Streamlight Jr Luxeon and my KC1 side by side. My KC1 has a tighter beam [than the SL] and appears both brighter (perhaps due to the tighter beam) and whiter. I have no idea about the actual runtime. IIRC Imago Metrics lists a manufacturers advertised runtime of 2 hours, but it's hard to believe a single CR2 battery would give that (they also list a 52 lumen output).

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing in such a little light (even discounting the nominal 52 lumens of course.)

[ QUOTE ]

I like the KC1 alot, If I could only have one light in this price range I would get a QIII from VIKI, but the KC1 is now one of my 10 favorite EDC lights - after my Aleph 2, Arc 4+, KL1/FB1, KL1/FB2, QIII, Key-Lux AA, Key-Lux N, Arc LSH-S, and Longbow Micra. I wish the KC1 was HA-III though.

Anch

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
anch said:

A. A CR123A - it could easily be bored out to accept it and give longer run time, or

Anch

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the CR2 and 123a the same length?? Maybe the 123a model is coming next.

Blades

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a really interesting 'always always' light. (How many catagories do we really have anyway?)

I see the numbers, but is there any chance someone might be able to take a couple pictures of the light next to a CMG Infinity or a Quantum III for size comparison?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Blades said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they're not the same length - the CR2 is about 5-6mm shorter than the 123, and has correspondingly less capacity. Also, from what I recall, there are no 123-bodies for the KC-1; it was designed to be compact, which it is.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
Also, from what I recall, there are no 123-bodies for the KC-1; it was designed to be compact, which it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this light the same length as the LS (don't know if LS with clicky or twisty), even though it uses a CR2? Comparison pics would be nice!! I've been eying this light for a while as a substitute for the LS, but have held back until more people get it and post their impressions.

The one thing I don't like is to have to add *yet* one more non-conventional battery size to my stash. Who has the best prices on the CR2s?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
green: It's also SKINNIER than the LS, as the CR2 cells are like a millimeter or two thinner, and there's no way to shove a 123 in there. Hell, if you wanted a 123-powered light with a similar Luxeon and optics, you might as well just get an Arc LS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
I just answered my own question:

kc1_ls.jpg

The image is not mine, BTW. I resized the original one coachbigdog referenced to here.

Also, here's Vortex Vision's website.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh - that doesn't look quite like the light Imago reviewed at Imago Metrics. It looked a little skinnier there, and I always thought the Arc LS was a bit over an inch in diameter. Looks like I was wrong on that one, though Vortex still has no plans that I'm aware of, regarding selling it in a CR123 version.

After all, that's what the Vortex TC-1 is for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif