Hardest driven luxeon 3 ?

unnerv

Enlightened
I built a 1D mag that uses 4AA in an adapter direct drive to an SYOL. With fresh batteries it draws 2.2 Amps. When Almost dead several hours later it still draws 700ma.

tacmag2.jpg

tacmagparts.jpg

sink.jpg

The sink is machined 1.25 inches deep, and about 2 thousands of an inch larger than the mag D internal diameter on the lathe. I heat the mag body up so it expands and then drop the sink in. When the body contracts it makes for a near perfect contact to the body since it is now under great pressure. The longest I have had the light on continuously was about 1/2 hour. It gets pretty hot, but not too hot to hold onto.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
Wow ! 2.2 amps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Have you had a chance to check it on a light meter? Really curious.

p.s. I really like the way you fit the sink. Great idea and a perfect way to provide thermal transfer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

edit: any beam shots?????

dtsoll

Enlightened
Wow unnerv, that is a beautiful light, job well done my friend, want to build me one of those??? Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, I'd take one too, that is beautiful! It's a shame I'd have to wear sunglasses to use it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I never quite understood why people here overdrive to ridiculous levels other than for bragging rights. Someone here did a graph that shows that an LIII, even with an infinite heat sink, maxes out in light output at around 1.4A. Any more, and you actually get less while burning more power. In a real world situation with a finite heat sink the size of a flashlight you'll probably reach maximum output at around 1A. Any more, and you'll have less light, not more. This isn't even getting into the fact that the absolute maximum specs are for 1A. I have nothing against pushing a part past it's specified limits, but only if there's something to be gained. Running an LIII at 2.2A makes absolutely no sense. Throttle back to 1A, perhaps 1.1A or 1.2A if you have a really big flashlight. You'll get more light and two or three times the runtime.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
I never quite understood why people here overdrive to ridiculous levels other than for bragging rights. Someone here did a graph that shows that an LIII, even with an infinite heat sink, maxes out in light output at around 1.4A. Any more, and you actually get less while burning more power. In a real world situation with a finite heat sink the size of a flashlight you'll probably reach maximum output at around 1A. Any more, and you'll have less light, not more. This isn't even getting into the fact that the absolute maximum specs are for 1A. I have nothing against pushing a part past it's specified limits, but only if there's something to be gained. Running an LIII at 2.2A makes absolutely no sense. Throttle back to 1A, perhaps 1.1A or 1.2A if you have a really big flashlight. You'll get more light and two or three times the runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Real men overdrive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see what jtr is saying.
My 3c magg (with an osink) doesn't really look much brighter anywhere above 1.1 amps.
I had it as high as 1.59 amps on fresh Everactive (walmart) alkalines.
But it didn't look much brighter than it did with nicads at 1.1 amps.
Bin is TV1K. (nice and white with a little bit of overdrive.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif