Strange - Tristar-3 works on 123's but not Pilas

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange - Tristar-3 works on 123\'s but not Pilas

This is a follow up post to an earlier post that I made "Tristar-3 works on c123's, but not for long".

I figured since 123's get real hot when running the Trilight-3, I would try Pilas since they handle more current. Problem is when I use 2 Pila 150a's in place of 3 123's in a Mag 3C with a Trilight-3, all I get is a momentary flash when I hit the switch, then nothing. I can hit the on switch as many times as I want, but each time all I get is a flash then nothing.

Anybody have any idea why I can't replace 3 123's with 2 Pilas for running a Trilight-3.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Strange - Tristar-3 works on 123\'s but not Pi

[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
This is a follow up post to an earlier post that I made "Tristar-3 works on c123's, but not for long".

I figured since 123's get real hot when running the Trilight-3, I would try Pilas since they handle more current. Problem is when I use 2 Pila 150a's in place of 3 123's in a Mag 3C with a Trilight-3, all I get is a momentary flash when I hit the switch, then nothing. I can hit the on switch as many times as I want, but each time all I get is a flash then nothing.

Anybody have any idea why I can't replace 3 123's with 2 Pilas for running a Trilight-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a guess - based on the 'flash'. The Pila Cells have overdischarge protection (probably a resetable fuse - or maybe electronic). I'd say the current draw is so high that the fuse opens to protect the Pila and that's why you see a short flash. Then it resets. Measure the current being drawn from the Pilas into the tri-star if you can. Add some series resistance and that'll probably fix the 'problem'.

george.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

George,

Looks like you might be right. I get a momentary reading fo 6 amps while the light flashes, then I have to wait 20 or 30 seconds before I can get the light to flash again.

Is there such a thing as a wafer resistor, about the size of a dime, that could be easily placed inline with the Pilas?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
George,

Looks like you might be right. I get a momentary reading fo 6 amps while the light flashes, then I have to wait 20 or 30 seconds before I can get the light to flash again.

Is there such a thing as a wafer resistor, about the size of a dime, that could be easily placed inline with the Pilas?

[/ QUOTE ]

The tristar is 3 Lux3's ? connected somehow?

Also, when I said a fuse for overdischarge - I meant a fuse for over-current protection.

george.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

What Is a Tristar 3 anyway?

MrMom

Enlightened

Charlie I believe that the tristar is an inretec drop in. It is not regulated.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Inretech 3x3w drop in for Mag 4D. See it here

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Ahh, direct drive. In that case I must agree w/George (of course - who would dare not to?)...

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Inretech 3x3w drop in for Mag 4D. See it here

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how are the Lux3's wired? Inretech's site says for 4D cells; I assume 6V alkaline, 4.8V nimh, so probably in parallel (with some series resistance). You've tried to drive it with 3 123's (fresh, 9V no load) or Pila's (fresh, 8.4V no load).

If the Lux3's are wired in parallel it's no surprise the Pila's (being li-ion the can pump out a lot of current - until the protection circuit cuts out) peak at 6A. Lucky you haven't blown the Lux3's...

Anyhow, being direct drive that's a problem with changing battery chemistries or # of cells - it generally won't work.

If you want to run 2xPila's in there or 3x123's you need to rewire the head to put the 3 luxes in series, get rid of the resistance and put a boost converter in there... 123's still won't give much runtime - since you're presumably wanting to drive the Lux3's at 700mA or higher - and you'll be pulling ~1A from the 123's, so <1/2 hour of runtime. 2 Pila's into 3 Lux3's would work great with a boost and 1A into the Lux3's and ~1hour of runtime. 4D nimhs would give excellent runtime. All this would be regulated.

You can see one of my drivers with 4AA nimhs pushing 750mA into 3 series lux's (and with dimming if you want it...) cpf thread

george.