In the market for a LED

VPOwer

Newly Enlightened
Hi

first: I cant believe I never saw this forum around.

second: I'm looking for a nice powerfull led flashlight.

I want a flashlight with a spot, no flood. Because I'll using it outdoor.

I came accross the Inova x0.
But for that price, I wanted to do my homework, and do it right before I get it. And since i'm in Montreal, Canada: there's not alot of place for that kind of shopping. So I may need to get it on ebay or another online store.

I also noticed the T series from Inova. Wich, correct me if i'm wrong, have a cliking switch. Push once: on, push again: off. No need to hold the button to use the unit.

I bought the garrity flashlight at wal-mart for 20$ CAD.
http://www.garritylites.com/site/retail_details.php?recid=101
But for my taste, the flood is too much. Does anyone have a review on it?

Does the Tx will really made a difference for the price i'll pay?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the comments.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
this led light wont realy fill what ya need but a great.light is the dorcy aaa its a awesume light for price. welcome to cpf by the way

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the board.

The X series of Inova have a twist switch: Press for momentary on, turn for constant on. If you just do not want to press the button all the time, both the X and the T series will do.

And the Inova are a totally different class than the Garrity. Don't get me wrong, the Garrity's a nice light for the price, but it's only a standard 5mm Nichia. You can get for the Inova X1 for ~ US$20.00. Also uses a 5mm Nichia like the Garrity, but runs on only one AA and has absolutely no sidespill (otherwise it looks as if Garrity tried to imitate the X1's beam). The XO/T1/T2 use a Luxeon I LED and are much brighter than both. They do have some ringy sidespill, but the difference to the Garrity is huge.

The aforementioned Dorcy AAA Luxeon I is also a very nice light for the price (~US$25). With fresh batteries nearly as bright as the XO/T2, but no regulation and not watertight (all my Inovas are dunkable).

Check out Quickbeams review site for lots of recommendations.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple of those garrity's, and an X-1 damn near same
beam/throw. it's not anything like a flood. ( i prefer throw too, but those two are just devoid of any spill)
unlike my arc LSH-P or even a cheap drop in like the terra lux ministar2, that have good throw and useable spill.
So if what your saying is you want a tighter beam, i not sure there is one, aside from a laser. VDG

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Pelican Sabrelite 2020? Its the one with the backward firing (recoil) Led technology. Apparently it gives a very nice tight spot, with some slight spill, according to some reviews. Runs 3C batts, and is especially useful for outdoors, as its dive rated to 500 feet IIRC, and almost bombproof!!

Edit: Where are my manners? Welcome to CPF!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VPOwer

Newly Enlightened
are you guys telling me that the T2 doesnt have a good spotty throw?

Just to clarify a few things...beside collecting Maglites for life...I never trully had a chance to discover other brands/made.

VPOwer

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, what about the mxdl who claim to use luxeon 3 watt led on ebay?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, aside from going the more custom modded route, the Inova X03 and T3 come to mind as having a very narrow spot type beam and very respectable throw. The Elektrolumens FT3C is pretty sweet too but it's a little bit larger than the Inova X03 or the T3.

Also the Streamlight TasklLight 2L (not the Twin Task 2L) has decent throw, and quite a bit of spill. Plus it has two output levels. The Gerber LX3.0 has decent throw if you're looking for a light that runs off cheap rechargable AA batteries.

For my money, I'd go for the Elektrolumens. Best throw, best total output and for my outdoor needs, I like the touch of spill it gives. The Inovas are very nice lights and just look cool as hell, but those zero spill beams take some getting used to, esp in a larger indoor environment.

VPOwer

Newly Enlightened
Do you think there's a real life big difference between te t3 and t2 throw?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
there's such a thing as too much flood?

i must ask, what are you using the light for that causes you to find flood light inhibitive/distracting?

VPOwer

Newly Enlightened
I dont think there's a Home Hardware here in Montreal, Canada.

as for the flood topic...I want something to use as long distance..and I think I spotted flashlight will do much better than a flood one.

So, any inputs on the mxdl found on ebay?

Thanks all for the inputs..

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would something like this be more like the thrower you want?
It still can defocus to a wider beam if needed with a turn, or two of the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
DSC00061.jpg

It's a 3c cell Osinked, Luxeon3 magg I modded.

DSC00009.jpg