In Search of a LED Lantern

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi All,

I am considering buying an LED Lantern. And being that I do not know much about them, any info would be helpful.

In short, I am mainly planning on using this as a backup, should my power go out.

Below are three links I found, and I think the 12 LED Lanterns listed might be the same.

If someone could post, and et me know any info and feedback that would be great. And if there is a link that I did not list, please share it here for me to look into.

12 LED Lantern...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002C9ZUM/qid=1101679794/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl200/002-5293012-4864862?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846

30 LED Lantern...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001WU0RA/qid=1101679794/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-5293012-4864862?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846

12 LED and 40 LED Lantern...
http://www.shoplifestyle.com/store/product.asp?pf_id=4806&source=cjctlg&AID=10273950&PID=1116383

Thanks,
John

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi John.
The 12-LED lanterns in your first and third links are the same lantern, different body color and perhaps branded differently. I have the gray-bodied one, and it's my favorite. Fairly sturdy body, easy battery insertion/removal, fully adjustable light output.
I haven't seen or tried the Guide Gear 15/30 LED lantern. Their stuff is generally pretty decent, perhaps not absolute top-of-the-line stuff.
On the cheaper end, there's the Innovage 12-LED lantern. Same basic adjustable guts as the one you link to, with a different (not quite as sturdy-feeling) body, and an unhandy and rather frail-feeling battery holder. On the plus side, you can get them for $10 at Boscov's stores in person or online. (Search for "Super Bright 12-LED power lantern").
Here's a link with a more in-depth look at the lanterns I've tried. Lantern comparison

Whichever larger lantern you decide to go with, I'd recommend you supplement it with several (or more) of the little 2-LED Energizer lanterns. They're an amazing steal at under $4 each, and too handy not to have some around. Good luck in your search.
Dave

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Thank You all for your information and advice. I'll be keeping this info handy, as odds are I will have to wait until some time in January to buy any more lights.

Sixpointone

Enlightened

dannyduke

Newly Enlightened
Don't be tempted by the look of that damn Guide-gear lantern. The reviews U read r right every bit, I have one so I know and I now regret that I did not return it.
The light quality of this "big" 30 LEDs is unacceptable,it is sickening weak,open a book next to it I hardly can read!
Really not quite sure of other LED lanterns though, however, this one is just good enough inside the house when power lost: no ones have to bump the walls or anything

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The prodigy II lantern seems ok for a cheap lantern($12.99 at target). It seems really bright for it's size and battery type(4 AA's). The only question is the run time on it, as i have yet to go through the original batteries

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Kwkstar,

Thanks very much for that info. I am going to keep it in mind. However, since my money is tight, I will likely not pre-order, and rather I will wait to hear the feedback when the Lantern is released.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!,
John

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone try these lanterns from Brookstone?

435495A_p.jpg

Thanks,

-john

moraino

Enlightened
John, I bought one after the new year for $CDN24 in Canada.

It has 4 led with one in center. They are old Nichia, not bright at all. My Dorcy is brighter with more even light.

It has a push button switch. Press one, the center led lights up. Press one more time the outer 3 led light up. One more press, the light goes off.

The clear round dome is an uneven plastic which I cut it off and I also sanded all LED flat to gain more even light. I don't like the light pattern, it cast out a surrounding beam which in my openion, disturbing.

The best part is the buttom part which is wrapped with solid rubber. And the battery holder is the BEST I've ever seen and it can slide into a Mag D light without fuss with 4AA in it. It is a very well made batter holder. I am wondering where I can but it.

It has a chip inside so I assume the rum time should be decent. After all it is Not bright al all. It size is not a problem I would carry Dorcy LED lanter. But this one is small by comparison.

Henry

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Brookstone and the Brunton look pretty darn similar. I'd venture to say the same housing, but maybe the Brunton is using newer LEDs.

dlong

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
moraino said:

<deleted...>

The best part is the buttom part which is wrapped with solid rubber. And the battery holder is the BEST I've ever seen and it can slide into a Mag D light without fuss with 4AA in it. It is a very well made batter holder. I am wondering where I can but it.

<deleted...>

Henry

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever find out where you can buy the 4AA-1D? Or know of where to buy good 4AA-1D converters? I tried the ones from Arvtech (sp?) and they are horrible.

Edit: The convertors are for 4AA in parallel and not in series, right?

-d

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Solstice said:
The Brookstone and the Brunton look pretty darn similar. I'd venture to say the same housing, but maybe the Brunton is using newer LEDs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know if the Brunton is using newer LEDs? If so, it sounds interesting. If not, it sounds like a lousy deal ($30ea vs $50 for 3).

Thanks,

-john

moraino

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dlong said:
[ QUOTE ]
moraino said:

<deleted...>

<deleted...>

Henry

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever find out where you can buy the 4AA-1D? Or know of where to buy good 4AA-1D converters? I tried the ones from Arvtech (sp?) and they are horrible.

Edit: The convertors are for 4AA in parallel and not in series, right?

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

The battery holder is in series configuration and both terminals are on the top. No, I still don't know who makes battery holder for them, it is the most well made battery holder I've seen. It is precisionly made.

I made my own 4 to 1 D and 8 to 2D by using 1/8' brass tubes and two round plates cut out from circuit board. It's not hard. The springs are from the 4AA battery holder. The holder without springs then is used as the "spare battery holder."

The 4 leds shot up the beam towards the 45 degree reflector and forms an narrow band of RING on the surrounding wall same hight as the lantern, if the lantern is in the center of the room. I didn't like it. I think you may want to try it out if possible before dig out your wallet. I bought it because it looks COOL and it was on sale....

Henry