Managing NiMH's

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Managing NiMH\'s

So, how do you manage your NiMH's? Do you just top off as needed or if there are cells you are not using for a couple two or three weeks do you just put them away and let them self discharge to a desirable level? Myself none of my NiMH's are ever discharged all the way. Often times they have a reading of 1.29 to 1.33v when I am done with them and I may not use them for another week or two and it is then when I top off prior to using again.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Managing NiMH\'s

You've got the right idea. They prefer topping off to deep discharge. You'll get much more life out of them the way you're using them now provided that you're using a good charger that won't overcharge them.

BTW, the 500-1000 charges are based on a full cycle. If you only discharge 25%, you can expect 3-4 times that amount (for 1 full cycle).

If you figured the low side (500) and 3 times the amount (=1500) and you topped them off every other day, they'd still last you for 8+ years. For anyone that would argue about the partial cycles, even at 500 charges every other day, it's still 2.75 years.

The point is, IF YOU HAVE A GOOD CHARGER, don't be afraid to charge your cells frequently.