Mini-review SL 4AA LED (includes run-time graph)

rlhess

Enlightened
Well, I got the SL 4AA LED today (thanks, Brightguy).

It's quite bright. Not LS bright, but wider.

Here are the measurements so far:

Peak light output with fresh batteries 120-130cd

I'm 3.3 hours into a runtime test.

The light dropped from 120cd to about 85cd and then built back up to about 103 cd and is now dropping to 98...hopefully I'll post a graph later.

EDIT After four hours it's down to 87cd
After 4.8 hours it's down to 66cd and
I'm going to bed!/EDIT

Temperature was 111F after a bit over an hour. Now after three hours it's down to 96F.

I might actually get to like this light. More light for longer than the Inova X5 on cheaper batteries. A little light almost forever...so I hear.

I may start admitting that there is a place for non-regulated lights as well.

Cheers,

Richard

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always figured these claims refer to using the light in utter and complete darkness. under such conditions anything is capable of enhancing vision.

rlhess

Enlightened
Right! But better to have than an incandescent when you're trapped in the coal mine!

By the way, I forgot to mention, in using 99% Isopropanol to wipe off the remains of the duct tape, the black ink/paint came off that highlights the Streamlight logotype.

This light has replaced a Double Barrell 2AA in the kitchen (sitting next to a Brinkmann LX) as the home utility flashlight.

EDIT 11:34PM
A NOTE: The cells removed from the SL 4AA LED "fail" the digital Radio Shack Battery Tester. I kept them running an hour or so after I stopped the test-so that means the cells are essentially drained (we often change batteries LONG before fail in many applications) after about 16 hours. So this is good, it's taking most of the energy out of the cells.
/EDIT

Cheers,

Richard

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
rlhess, I knew there was a reason this light is on my most wanted list.

(as an aside, I used to live in Glendale. I sorta grew up there. Now I call it Gloomdale because of the smog. Oh well, not everybody can live in well laid out Orange County with everything near by.)
--Ðøug
rolleyes.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
Well, here is the run time curve. Meterman LM631 illuminance meter. Light at one meter. Meter reading lux which equals candela when measured at one meter. Analog 1mV per lux output to Mastech MAS-345 Digital Multimeter with PC interface. DMM display mirrored light meter display despite the analog connection. Of course, your mileage may vary.

sl4aaled.gif

I must say with the literature stating "after 155 hours still delivers plenty of light to illuminate a path, read a manual, or search a toolbox. After 7 hours it's half of an Arc AAA LE!

I'd consider the graphic on the packaging optimistic. It implies 30% of initial after 6 hours, 10% after 9 hours, 3% after 65 hours and 0.3% after 155 hours.

I did not capture the first 2-3 minutes of burn time as I was setting up the light.

Cheers,

Richard

MDM

Newly Enlightened
Richard:

I'm no electrical engineer, but does your graph imply that the 4AA is regulated (it seems to level out after the initial drop-off)?

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I was thinking that the graph looks like that "sun/moon" mode in another LED flashlight SHOULD look.

To me that's a great feature. The light tells you "hey blockhead, I'm out of juice, so I'm going to give you just enough light to keep from bumping into things until you figure out where you put the spare batteries, while preserving what's left of the energy in these things."

I bet it's because the led's have a very non-linear voltage/current curve, and you're dropping below that voltage, so the current and light output drops. Pretty cool. "Incs" just stop making light and become highly efficient devices at sucking the rest of the power from the batteries and converting it to heat.

I love this light. I need to order more...

rlhess

Enlightened
MDM-NOT regulated...it's an interesting synergy between actual operating parameters that causes this to happen. It's just a battery, a resistor, and an LED (X7) as far as I know.

While not ideal (I don't know what IS ideal) this is the first direct drive light I've warmed to at all. I'm thinking of getting a few more as stocking stuffers.

It certainly is in the right price point (compare to the sleek but pricey and expensive to run X5).

Cheers,

Richard

Brock

Flashaholic
Hummm, I wonder if I have a defective unit or maybe odd batteries. I did run my test twice on Duracells and got just about 3 hours of light. It did seem short to me, I will have to try it again with energizers.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock,

After three hours, was the light just dim?

I could test mine with Rayovac max plus tonight.

I will, and let you know the result.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine in the mail yesterday from brightguy. I have to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with it at first. But I have had lights grew on me with use.

It is bright for close or medium use. I do wish it was a bit more focused of a beam, but I haven't had a chance to test it out in a very dark area. I like how the tailcap allows for the light to stand up on it's own.

I don't find the switch as big a disappointmnt as others have stated. I am able to operate it with my thumb, but I notice that you have to hold it a little differently. You have to hold the light so that your thumb falls into the notches at the base to be able to depress it. Seems to me that due to its oblong shape, the human hand tends to want to hold the light in it's thinnest cross-section, when you have to hold it by it's widest portion to have your thumb positioned properly. I'm sure to some it is a big deal, especially if you are used to a Scorpion or SF. Their round body allows for quick hold and aquisition. I can see where it would be an annoyance, but it's no big deal to me. Also, I find it no problem at all to use my index finger to operate it.

I like the heft of it and how it feels in the hand, comfortable.

That refector looks funky, anyone got any comments about it?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Brock:
Hummm, I wonder if I have a defective unit or maybe odd batteries. I did run my test twice on Duracells and got just about 3 hours of light. It did seem short to me, I will have to try it again with energizers.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That does seem short. Are all the LEDs still working? A short in one [or more] could contribute to faster discharge. Others have posted that the ballast resistors are 12 ohms. Can you see them well enough to check if maybe you got an oddball light with lower values?