I'm Holding My First "real" Flashlight!!!

MJWood

Newly Enlightened
I\'m Holding My First \"real\" Flashlight!!!

Well -- thanks to a very generous friend, I am officially holding my first "Real" flashlight, a Surefire E2o.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

All I can say is WOW!!!

The story behind this is actually quite amazing! A friend of mine was forced to purchase a light while visiting a military base for work related purposes. The best compromise he could come up with between a cheap light and a VERY expensive light was the E2o. Returning from his business trip, he realized that he really had no use for it and gave it to me -- packaging and everything. It's probably been used about 5 minutes.

Mini-Review
-----------
First Impression -- Man! These things are smaller and lighter than I could have ever thought by looking at the web site and seeing pictures. And the beam is brighter than my 2D Mag! Plus, the intricate machine work and construction is supurb. The only "flaw" -- and I know this is normal and i'm just being picky -- is that the bezel has a greenish tint to the anodized coating. But really, it just adds personality!

Beam - Having nothing to compare this too except a couple of Mini-Mags and a 2D Mag, this this seems very bright. It comes standard with the 25 Lumen bulb but can take the 60 that comes with the E2e. I don't think I'll ever go that route. 25 lumens is plenty for me, plus I'd rather have the battery life. Most of my applications will be hunting and general use around the house. In fact, for some situations, the light is almost too bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The beam seems to have one small inperfection, but being used to the rings of the Mags, this is great!

Overall - Well, the price is right. I was seriously looking at an L2, but at this price, I think I'll be just as happy with the E2o. I'm kinda glad my friend got the E2o as opposed to the E2e since I don't need the extra lumens and the pocket clip on this is longer and better suited to my uses. Overall, this light is great for my uses and if I ever want, there is always a KL1 and a 2 stage tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, just had to share. I can now update my sig!!!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Re: I\'m Holding My First \"real\" Flashlight!!!

Congratulations, MJWood! What a cool story and what a good friend! Hope he expensed the light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's really a beautifully made light for your first high-end flashlight!

Welcome to flashaholism - you know, don't you, that's it is probably going to be really hard for you to buy a cheap flashlight ever again? Enjoy it - I hope you get tons of use from the E2o!

MJWood

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MrBenchmark said:
That's really a beautifully made light for your first high-end flashlight!

[/ QUOTE ]
It's funny. I never would have thought of a flashlight as a beautiful thing till I actually held one of these really well made ones in my own hands. The craftsmanship on this is unbelievable. Granted I'm lucky that the Mags I have seem to be well made as far as Mag Lites go, but the Surefire is in a totally different class! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Welcome to flashaholism - you know, don't you, that's it is probably going to be really hard for you to buy a cheap flashlight ever again? Enjoy it - I hope you get tons of use from the E2o!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm afraid you are correct. Hopefully, I won't have to buy another for a while. I'm sure I'll get the urge to get an LED (Probably the L2 I've been looking at), but I'm hoping to hold out till next spring when the bills are caught after! After that, who knows where the flashaholism will take me???

CQB

Enlightened

Another CONGRATS from me! You really lucked out with that E2o didnt ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One of my bestest buddies also got himself an E2o - but he BOUGHT his. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Same applications: hunting, outdoors stuff, etc. He prefered the runtime over the xtra lumens in the E2e.

Myself, I am the type who wants more lumens AND more runtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But of course, I know both of these conversely affect each other .

I am waiting for my OWN brand spankin new E2o to be brought over to me from the US. I will be using its body & switch to house my new Aleph 3 head. I picked the E2o for this exclusive "duty" for its small form factor, the longer clip, and b/c it just plains looks cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So enjoy your E2o MJW! Maybe for fun if you feel like it, go ahead and get the high output bulb, just to "see" the difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CQB

MJWood

Newly Enlightened

Quick question to all about my new tool (read toy). I notice that the word "OUTDOORSMAN" reads from bezel to tailcap on my light. I also notice that this is different in other pictures of the same light?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif What's up with this? Is this normal for SF?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

cool feeling isn't ? I got my first real incan about 3mth's ago, an E2d. I think sooner or later, you'll wonder what a MN03 lamp will look like.(like incredible, a 3D or 3C mag look's like a solitaire compared to them, especially for such a small light) I too, didn't realise how small the
E-series were either, even pic's of hand's holding them. so i freaked when i got mine. I now have a e1e, and a KL-1.
And I like you, expect my next SF will most likely be a L-2.really, aside from another E1e, (my newest EDC along with a modded solitaire) for use with the Kl-1, would be a rechargable of some sort.(there working on improvment's to there line, I was told to wait a while last mth when i inquired about a 8 or 9 NX) then really i have all the SF i really want, unless they make a killer single lED keychain light. Since use my light's alot, i don't get a whole bunch of one brand. If your the same, be sure to look for a used ARC LS series, some small keychain light's, and listen carefully to the brain trust here, they know the stuff. then watch your wallet! congrat's. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MJWood said:
Quick question to all about my new tool (read toy). I notice that the word "OUTDOORSMAN" reads from bezel to tailcap on my light. I also notice that this is different in other pictures of the same light?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif What's up with this? Is this normal for SF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. SF are constantly changing thing's as i have learned on here. My new E1e is a clicky and rounded on the side's, the pic on the website is not.
and my E1e is "rainbow OD HA-III" too. the front len's holder part of the bezel & tail sw is a different color then the rest of the bezel, which is bright OD, and the body is darker OD. No witness mark's on the tail either, no big deal as i know this is a common SF thing.
Man still love the little E1e stock incan,,, don't know why just do. VDG

omega

Newly Enlightened

MJwood,
Another congratulations from my end! You are right, for the size, the light output of the Surefire E series are amazing! (Not to mention the quality of workmanship as well.) I still remember the first time I held my E2e (satin gray, teardrop bezel). It was simply awesome.
I ended up giving it to my girlfriend though, coz a few months later I bought an L4, which is now my EDC (now upgraded with the new generation KL1 head).
You see... it never just stops with one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Omega

MJWood

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
omega said:
You see... it never just stops with one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to understand that!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14C

Enlightened

MJwood...you are screwed..but ENJOY it...:)

Try a KL1 then a KL4....you have a good light...now you now what "tactical" IS. Reliable, rough, ready when you need it and sexy.

"Built right to light the night."

You will love the KL1 and the KL4 on that E body.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

my first "REAL" flashlight was a yellow g2 but i went on a boar hunting trip with my dad and brother and we met these guys that had just got back from Iraq and were in special forces and could get free surefires and one guy offered to trade me for his e2e! just because he liked the color and was going to give it to his college student to have. then we exchanged adresses and about two weeks later i got a package in the mail from Fort Bragg North Carolina in it was a surefire 6p 20 lithium batts an infrared filter a gun mount and a ripoff brand holster- definitely the best deal ive made in long time

omega

Newly Enlightened

mossyoak,
Wow... really great deal you had there!

MJwood,

Suggest you go to the local SF dealer and ask to try out an E2E with the "standard" (MN03) LA installed. That should give you a peek your E20's potential (as voodoogreg put it, it makes your 3 cell mag lights look like Solitaire compared to MN03). I would say it's really worth it, as an "upgrade" for less than $20 (you'd never know when you'd need the extra candlepower).
The KL1 and KL4 would be the "next" (albeit more expensive) evolutions. The pure white (need i say dazzling?) light simply sets it (and you) apart from the rest.

QuickBeam couldn't have said it better: "When thinking of the best way to describe the (K)L4, the phrase "kicks butt" comes to mind. Highly recommended for anyone who wants a high output and durable pocket light, especially if you want your friend's Mini-light to look like it's on the receiving end of a comedy routine."

Full review here .

Do keep us posted... it's always nice to see a flash-a-holic in the making /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Omega

cdf

Enlightened

I bought one for a buddy who drives a Limo. in his spare time . He is now madly in love with it . It truly is a thinking mans Surefire ! Get yourself a spare incan bulb , and someday a KL1 head and you have it beat !