Runtime of M6 Lexan head b4 it melts

aussielextsy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

sorry to open a new thread but i wasnr gettin any real answers.

I have just bought an M6 with the lexan head and i have heard that it may melt under continued use with the HOLA.

I am purchasing the M6R kit when it comes out and what i need to know is will the HOLA with lexan be able to run for 19 mins 30 seconds without melting?

if it will melt then i obviously need a new head.

so i can either buy a new pyrex head somehow..
( is there any HOLA 500 Lumens heads to be bought? )

if i cant i am going to purchase another m6 from maverick and keep all the goodies from the first sale and sell off one of the torches with the lexan head in australia.

So can anyone confirm how long they could run on 500 lumens before it melts?

sureley there must be a bunch of people with the old m6's who have dealt with this problem b4

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aussie,

I think I know an answer to one of your questions. If you determine that the lexan lens won't allow the runtime you need, I believe the Surefire KT4 Turbohead is one option for you. However, it comes with lamps for the M3T, namely the MN15 and the MN16.

For use with the M6, the MN16 will be useful (only with the M6-R rechargeable pack, not with 6x123 cells) as a LOLA (225 Lumens). But you will still need the MN21 for a HOLA (with either source of power). If you want a LOLA with 6x123 cells, the MN20 that comes with the M6 is the ticket.

I have seen the KT4 sell for anywhere from $95 to $125 on B/S/T. Perhaps someone would like to sell one cheap if it has no MN15. I would think that would be ideal.

Maybe it's possible to install a new pyrex lens in the head.

There are probably a lot more options. Let's hope Size15's sees this thread. It seems he has answers for any SureFire question.

Paul

aussielextsy

Newly Enlightened
oh i see.

so i need someone who has a KT4 turbohead ideally without the bulbs as the kt4 turbohead will drop straight onto my mn21 bulb.

I have no need for the mn15 or 16 as i have 2 mn20 lolas coming and the 1 hola.

i only plan to use it with the m6r on hola and if it works lola too but mainly for hola.

Alternatively i can perhaps just buy the perspex lens and unclik my lexan one and clip in the new one?

is it a case of clip in clip out

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aussie,

The KT4 option (or any change or additions) is needed IMO only if you find that the lexan lens is not durable enough for your need. As I understand it, your fundamental question is the durability of the lexan lens.

I'm guessing at what you mean by "buy the perspex lens and unclik my lexan one and clip in the new one." I just discovered in another thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:

No, SureFire does not offer Pyrex lens replacements for bezels featuring Lexan lenses.

SureFire does not offer any Pyrex lens replacement kits that I am aware of.

The Lexan Millennium TurboHead featured a push-in snap-fit Lexan lens. No lens replacement kit was ever assigned that I'm aware of.

The Pyrex Millennium TurboHead features a Pyrex lens retained by a screw-down and sealed retaining ring.

[/ QUOTE ]
I found this and other good info here. Amazing how the search function helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

Size15's

Flashaholic
I hope you find one.

What I suggest is that you use the Lexan one without fear of it melting. I've never considered it an issue and I used the M6 quite a lot before I changed to Pyrex. If your Lexan TurboHead melts or is damaged by the heat I would be surprised.

Al

aussielextsy

Newly Enlightened
ok i will do that. Thanks alot.

even when i get the M6R although its capable on 19 mins at 500 lumens i doubt id ever keep uit on that long.

Thats what my L7 is for