Just rec'd my LED Desk Lamps....IMPRESSED

steve_vance

Enlightened
Just rec\'d my LED Desk Lamps....IMPRESSED

While browsing thru a recent Google search of led lights, I came across these and ordered 2, after checking the price against other sites:
FL861_main.jpg

20 LED Translucent Desk Lamp # FL861
$99.95 Now only: $45.95
On sale now! - Half Price!

The last time I dealt with Lifestyle Fascination was when I ran a group buy for 12-LED lanterns for a bunch of us CPFers. We ordered over 50 of the lanterns. at that time, I met Eli Fisher, head of their internet sales division. They gave us good service, a good price and kept all their promises. Eli steered me toward this product...he said that they can't reduce the price any more, since they're on sale already for more than 50% off. I checked other websites' prices: realistically, this same product sells at anywhere from $69-$89; I ordered 2 @ $44.95 each.

The only concern I had was: "what quality is this thing going to be"? As an experienced LED light buyer, I've seen too much over-hyped crap come down the pike. However, I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I got the lamps. Here are a few highlights:

1. Solid metal construction throughout, heavy metal base w/flawless blue metallic finish. Plated steel swing-arm.

2. The 5mm LEDs are arranged in one linear strip of 20, 5X4, with a translucent diffuser cover.The LEDS are pure white, reasonably bright (I found this to be an excellent reading lamp: bright, but not so bright that reflected glare from the page is an issue).

3. Touch-on, touch-off switch on the base.

4. The swing-arm arrangement adjusts three ways: (1)the height of the vertical bar adjusts from about 9 inches to about 15 inches, (2)the horizontal arm containing the LED array swivels about 180 degrees, (3) the angle.inclination of the arm containing the LED array ajusts about 30 degrees up or down from the horizontal position.

So, I put one on my nightstand, and the other one on the desk where I do my morning devotional reading. I'm satisfied with the price and quality.

They can be found here: Gadgetbabe.com

Gadgetbabe is a Lifetstyle-Fascination company. I asked Eli who the Gadgetbabe is....he wouldn't tell me, only that there is a Gadgetbabe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

BVH

Flashaholic
Re: Just rec\'d my LED Desk Lamps....IMPRESSED

I ordered two of these last week and can't wait for them to arrive. I, too, was concerned about the color of the LED's but your review puts me at ease. I should probably order two more at that price. Everything else in the desk lamp format with LED's that I could find on the WEB was much more money.

Steve, a couple of questions: Can you compare the color of the LED's to a Surefire L4 or any other light? Does the documentation list the power consumption?

steve_vance

Enlightened

I would order sooner rather than later...,.Eli said they only have 40 left.
With regard to color, they're about the same color as my Gerber trios or Lightwave 3000s. The light isn't exactly what I'd call "warm", but it's not blueish either.

the lamp uses a detachable AC adaptor.....the power supply circuitry is not built into the lamp, rather, it's like an AC adaptor for a cassette player or small appliance. I didn't check the voltage (will do it tonight and report). This leads me to an interesting conclusion/speculation: since the power supply is external/plugin, if it's a DC power supply 3.5-6 volts, it would be a simple matter to hook up, say, a 6V lantern battery, thus making it a good power-outage light. Just a thought.

BVH

Flashaholic

Thanks for the info Steve. Just ordered two more. I want them all for myself but may end up giving a couple as gifts.

StevieRay

Enlightened

Steve,

I believe that this ia a Nuwai DK-200 LD It has been on their website for a while undernew products

Brock

Flashaholic

How is it powered? Does it use a cube supply or?

I would get one in a heart beat if I can run it from 12vdc or any voltage below that.

Although I bet with that touch switch thingy it is AC based with a x-former in the base?

steve_vance

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
How is it powered? Does it use a cube supply or?

I would get one in a heart beat if I can run it from 12vdc or any voltage below that.

Although I bet with that touch switch thingy it is AC based with a x-former in the base?

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked last night....it uses a cube supply, ratings are 12 VDC @ 500ma. Seems to run on pure DC. Interesting, as a motorcycle battery could provide lots of light for this lamp.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be interested in long term use report since the wavelength is not a smooth white based on all the colors in the rainbow. Just wondering if you notice your eyes do your don't get more tired compared to other lights. Or anything else you notice.

I know one advantage would be not feeling hot under them.

Thanks for the review.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ordered one just this minute, thanks for the pointer. I'm sure it could be home-built cheaper -- but time costs me more the older I get! Worth taking a chance, appreciate the recommendation.

steve_vance

Enlightened

no eye strain.....it's fine to read by....I read for 5 hours two nights ago and no problems....also no flicker please note posting above it's not AC-powered it runs on DC

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

we have a amber led christmas tree here that strobes at a noticeble 60hz. You walk by it or move your eyes and you see a bunch of dots!! poor dc converter... :\

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Christmas tree lights? I doubt they'd go to the expense of AC/DC conversion - they're probably driven in series by AC.