C vs. D mods

davidra

Enlightened
Given a 2D with EL's holders, one would have a Mag with 9 volts, the same as the 3X123 2C mod. Do they have the same output? Same bulbs used for both (GH24, I assume). Any advantage of one over the other, except that one uses 123's and one uses AA's? I sure like the form factor of the C better than the D.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the bulb you plan on running.

Many of the superbulbs simply won't get enough oomph from the 123's in a single stack to be very bright, where they will from NiMH cells/

Bill

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
CR123s should do fine with a GH24. They might have too much voltage sag for superbulbs that need very high current draw.

AA NiMHs are cheap and readily available. I've heard it said by venerable hotwire masters that you should use AAs with capacities of 2100 mAH or less, because the higher capacity AAs may not be able to deliver enough current for superbulbs.

Rechargeable li-ion 123s are available, but have lower capacity (~500-600 mAH). Most of them are unprotected cells - use with caution. The only protected li-ion 123s I know of are the ones sold at http://www.jsburlys.com

You could use Pilas, but they'll give you slightly lower voltage.

WirlNet

Newly Enlightened
Of course, you could always do a 3 x C size Li cells - that would also provide 9 volts and LOTS of run time. Batterystation sells them - not cheap, but proven performer.