Will 3x 20mm IMS fit in a Mag Head?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. See my thread on this forum soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd Shift, yes I'm thinking the same now too. If I'm to use the ledge of the mag head, that may be too high up for the reflectors. What might have to be done is a heatsink on the body like Orion did. I'd like to make the head all assembled so you don't have to worry about the head rotating and destroying the Luxeons. You could swap bodies that way too.

Anyone know how tall a 20mm IMS is? And do you need to chop the legs off for use with emitters?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
16.5mm depth for the 20mm reflectors.
A thin and easy to "holesaw" copper disk may do it.
20 mm depth for 27mm optics.
The 27's look tight, but possible width wise.

Oh, yeah, clip the legs off.
They are mostly useless anyways for our ambitions.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the legs only work with the stars.. with them they are great. (20s and 27s).. the 17s the legs are for the emitter so you have to cut them off for use with the star (opposite).

Let us know if you get them to fit, i'm thinking of putting 3up into my old smag3d i would love to have more usable.

I just hooked a 'fatman' up to two-up Lux3s in two 20IMS reflectors.. powered from a LiON poly battery that is 1/4 inch thick.... and i got 2900lux at 1m. I'm going to upgrage my lights shown here to that combo soon and i'll incorporate a charger right in, so i just have to plug them in to charge. 2900lux from a light the size of a box of matches, it's pretty incredible. (the current model with a DD and 27IMS reflector is about 2000lux with a fresh battery but drops quick due to the nature of DD.

-awr

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You say 27's look tight, but possible width wise? Like 3 27mm in a mag head!?!? wow. I bet you'd have to machine some room out... but some custom moder who can build heads (Wayne from EL) could put 3 in a head!! that'd be awesome!

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, just a little taken off the sides of the reflectors at most, if that.
No serious machining required there.
A cold, press fit plug in the tube that looks just like a flat top hotlips should be easy to make in a lathe.
This would need nicely centered emitters, not stars to fit right.
Look down the barrel of a dissassembled magg with the head on, but no reflector or bezel and see what you think.

Best of luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have 27mm reflectors or I'd do so... I'd have to be sure they'd fit first though before I attempt that. I don't have the funds/parts to test fit stuff...

So you're saying if you put the luxeons on a flat HS in the body of the mag that they'd be spaced OK for the 3 27mm reflectors? And that the reflectors bodies would clear the ledge in the head and all that? If so, Elektrolumens has 1/4" thick flat heatsinks that you could use one, or 2 for extra mass, and you're set...

That's what I justed used for a Cyan LuxIII mod. Flat & flush with the top of the mag body...

EDIT: I just made some circles in PhotoShop. Seems 27mm reflectors you'd have to hack of a substantial amount to get them to fit. And the centers would be way off where the luxeons would go from the body tube. I don't think they will work very well. Unless you can prove me wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

akula88

Enlightened
Stephen,
I'm seriously watching this thread. I'm interested on how a LuxV Tri-27mm compares with a single LuxV in a Mag Reflector. I believe the hotspot of the Tri-LuxV would be awesome. I'm not sure, which one would win in terms of throw.
I would also like to see this in LuxIII /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif anxiously /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
A luxeon5 can never have a big enough reflector.
All my lux3's are kickin my lux5's rear ends when it comes to throw in a 2 inch magg reflector.
I have largely given up on the luxeon5's in anything smaller than a 2" reflector.
I'll let you guys know how things go with the luxeon3's.
Again, I have learned something new about the nature of flashoholism here on cpf. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
I will still need to find some punks with a lathe at a local high school metal shop to make me the right heatsink for this kind of setup.
Goodness help me on that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd_shift - I found someone who made me a custom sink for 3 Lux3 stars in a C-cell light. I will report back when the sink arrives by Global Priority.

He's quite a gentleman too, definitely a pleasure dealing with him, no need to put up with that nonsense from HS kids /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stephen, good luck!!! If you do have to cut them, do so not on the edges, but on the sides that will be the center of the mag head, that way it will bring the emitters closer together, and possibly the beam won't be so misshappen than if you cut the outside edges where it touches the mag head...

If 3 won't work, then possibly 2 side by side would work. Then you'd only have ~2mm on each refelctor to shave off (maybe more, looks like 48.5mm inside the head). I'm going to take some more measurements here and see what other ideas I can come up with...

If it works it might throw just as good as a single 2" mag reflector, only with bigger hotspot!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Ledge of mag head to top : 20-21mm. Not enough for a HS + luxeon + 27mm on top of it. Now if the luxeons will fit in the area of a HS in the body you're set height wise. If not, I know Wayne from EL's has machined down that ledge in the head before to make room for a HS to go on top of it have have more height between the lens. That would be best to have a HS that way, as you could twist the head and not rip off the luxeons. You could even make a bulb post for the back and swap the head on different mags... Plug n play...

If this is not the case, besides set-screws, what is the best way to keep the mag head from not being turned. (and you know the first person to pick up the light will twist the head!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Perhaps epoxy would be easier... would it stick?