26Kmcd on Ebay, anyone try these? Comparison pics

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a 50 lot of 20000mcd whites, then I see these
Ebay page
26000mcd 3.5v 20-25mA, 20 degree angle. I know the smaller angle increases the mcd count, but are the dies getting brighter. I mean 25mA to get that output, even at a tighter angle, still sounds brighter than standard nichia. Does anyone have any of these, and if so, could you post what you have found. When I get mine (20kmcd) I plan on running 1 of these against a std nichia, and a std white from HK at different levels.
Jeff

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Re: 26000mcd on Ebay, anyone try these?

Unless it's the newest Nichias almost anything on eBay is brighter than the usual 9200 mcd, 20° Nichia which is about the only 5mm Nichia I ever see being sold. Nichia is supposed to release its 60 lm/W white LED this year. The 20° part should be good for about ~35,000 mcd if the efficiency specs are really true. The 50° one should be around 6500 mcd.

This is the first I've heard of 26,000 mcd LEDs. The brightest one I've seen prior to this was 21,000 mcd (also at a 20° beam angle).

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dont get the warm fuzzies with those LEDs, 80mA 400mW. I DO have some 10mm LED's, but they are single die 20mA. Just a bigger case, and they have a nice output pattern. The thing that gets me on these 20K and 26K jobbies, is the 20-25mA draw.... We'll see, I should be getting them today, and I will let you all know how they stack up.
Jeff

WS6Extreme

Newly Enlightened

How did they turn out?? I am looking at getting 24 of those to replace my dome light in my car. Would those be too bright?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

24 should be good, however, being point source light, some creative covering might be in order. I myself have 9 red super flux 'spider' LEDs running at 75mA each. Now these are bright. The whites should work, but DONT make it perminent until you like the results.
Jeff

WS6Extreme

Newly Enlightened

So i should go with those 26K mcd or would that be too bright?

If those would be too bright I was thinking 11K mcd, but i was worried it would not be bright enough.

The whole setup is going to be behind a plastic frosted cover.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO BRIGHT!!! Don't EVER say that here!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 1. the frosted plastic will block some of the light, 2. if it is too point source still, you may have to sand down the tops of the LEDs a bit, this too will reduce the brightness. Then there is aways resistors.
Jeff

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

one of the things I plan on doing, after I compare the 3 different units side by side (20Kmcd, nichia, HK white), I am going to grind them flat and polish them. Then I will try to see if the die itself is brighter. LEDs are generally in mcd, or foot candles (IIRC). There is no lumen ratings (lumen is total light output) on standard LEDs.
Jeff
The last time I bought white LED's was about 8mos ago, I got a batch of 100 pcs. I have also acquired about 18 or so nichia's from doung dorcy UV and LUXIII upgrades.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Walt, I am 20 min North of K-zoo. I have 45 left, I could part with a few more. Hopefully they will be in today...
Jeff

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, my 2yr old son just erased my whole review..... AARGH!!!

MINI MINI REVIEW

at 20mA, these 20Kmcd are WAY brighter then ANY whites I have. My Nichia is bluer and has a tighter focus. I would say the 20K is 2-2.5X brighter and WHITE, DEFINATELY worth the extra money. I will be sending 1 to Craig for review. I also have 1 stock Dorcy AAA (couldent get the head off), I will do a side by side with this medium. I can only guess the difference between the 20K and the 26K in the 'bin', and if so Brighter still.
Jeff

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here are some pics for yall. The one that I didnt take any pics of was... I have a bulb from a cool blue, I made one like it using the 20K(turned down the LED). The 20K is a bit brighter and only draws 22mA, the original cool blue bulb draws 51mA.

Side by side Dorcy AAA, NEW batts
IMAG0000.JPG

Stock Left, 20K Right

Next was an 8LED MOD
IMAG0001.JPG

IMAG0002.JPG

This is the board with the 20K's, I added 8 20Ohm resistors, the stock was DD.

IMAG0003.JPG

about 3 feet from wall. stock left, 20K right

IMAG0004.JPG

About 8Feet from celing. Stock left, 20K right
The stock Light draws 290mA, the 20K unit draws 180mA, and is brighter.
Jeff

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
So... I take it your happy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So... uh... how hard is it to take an Ultra apart and replace the LED?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have NO idea, I dont own one...

As a side note, I tried one of these on a 1/2 dead 3v LI watch battery, Even at 2mA these are decientally bright.

Jeff

robk

Enlightened
Re: 26Kmcd on Ebay, anyone try these? Comparison p

I ordered a 50 pack yesterday, anxious to see how bright they are. I'll post my findings.
Rob

Moat

Enlightened
Re: 26Kmcd on Ebay, anyone try these? Comparison p

Wow... those appear to be at least twice as efficient.

WildRice - are the 20k mcd's you bought, from the same seller as the 26k's you linked to at the top of this post (warden jp2002)?? If so, I might just have to register with Paypal after all...