Changing A2 LED from White to Red - How?

Fooltergeist

Newly Enlightened
I received an A2 Aviator for Christmas and since this is my first real serious flashlight, I have a fairly dumb question to ask. I got the white LED version and, human nature being what it is, I would also like to try out the red LED version to see if I might like that even better. First, can I buy replacement red LEDs and replace the white ones myself as a do-it-yourself project? If not, can I buy red filters that would provide the same effect? Also, someone mentioned using red capsules that you would fit over the led bulbs themselves, kind of like a condom. Does anyone know where I can buy these capsules, model, type, etc.? Finally, will Surefire exchange my new out-of-the-box white A2 with a red A2? Thanks for any suggestions.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

AlecGold

Enlightened
WELCOME!!!

Red filtering on leds doesnt work very well. I don't know about the A2 leds exaclty, but the U2 emits about 30%-40% of the light through a red filter, compared to the white light. this is due to te fact that white leds doesnt emit realy white light.

As far as I know there is no replacement from Surefire themselfes, but I have read of people (planning to) replace them with red/purple/pink/gold-spotted/black or uv leds. As far as I can see, it doesn't have to be a problem to replace them. When you unscrew the head, you can lift out the incan. light. but you also will see the three phillipsscrews which keep the leds in. Unscrew it and you have the leds.

But you have got a wonderfull christmas present! i've got an A2 with red leds and I realy like to use it on campingtrips. Reading with the red leds preserves my night-vision and the big white light is very usefull for lighting up animal/people/sings etc. etc.

cy

Flashaholic
I'd play with the filter first, to make sure you want red. red is kinda fun, but white is way more useful.

on a new A2, trade it out to preserve Surefire warranty. on an old beat up one. mod it.

I'm still looking for an old beat up A2..

AlecGold

Enlightened
since SF's are overal well made, it could take another while for an old beat up A2...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif