Nobody wants my $$

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
If you have read any of my previous newbie posts, I have been looking for a cool, one battery, one LED light for an EDC and backpacking use.

So, I hear all about the Country Comm G-Ultra. Was not too interested in buying a Gerber product, but whatever, so I email CC a couple of days ago to check stock. No reply.

#2 -- So, I email Gerber to ask a techie question about their light. Their reply: "We don't sell directly to the public." Duh, I know that!

#3 -- I hear about the Peak single 123, single "snow" LED light. I email the company to get some idea of brightness comparisons. The reply: "This unit has been discontinued." No deal.

Maybe I should have entitled this post, "Flashlight revival," since everything I try to buy has been discontinued or is being upgraded.

Or maybe I don't need a cute little EDC and should go after a mega-output Inova or Surefire! Or maybe I should get a one-candlepower light, e.g., a candle, you know, the type with wax and a wick down the middle!!

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
If you buy a candle there will be arguments over which brand of candle puts out the most candle power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

County Comm is not known for their responsiveness to emails. If they show the product as available on their site then just order it ... they are much better at fulfilling orders than responding to emails.

Zackerty

Enlightened
Yeah, but how do you know that you are getting the best run-time, throw, and brightness with the one you choose?

100% cotton wick, 85% cotton and 15% lead oxide wick, etc etc

Flashpoint reducing compound paraffin wax, beeswax, fragranced beeswax, coloured fragranced beeswax, etc etc.

The options go on and on!

Rather get a flashlight!

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
Nah, Bayberries mon! Totally organic. You can eat them be day and see 'da light by night!

litho123

Enlightened
zoltar -

I just received my Q3, slipped on an E2e beamshaper, clipped it to the bill of my cap, turned it on and shoveled my driveway. I had two neighbors come over to check the light out and were impressed.

There's plenty of talk about this little light on the forum. Have you given this light consideration?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel your pain, Zoltar. Unavailability of products plagues this hobby. Certain manufacturers and dealers never seem to have what you want and don't even respond in an intelligent manner. We are blessed, however, by some outstanding dealers and mfg's but it's surprising the number of duds that keep advertising with nothing for sale.

teststrips

Enlightened
zoltar - i too being a newbie got myself a q3... it's awesome. I think i am going to try to mod it for dual brightness, b/c stock it's way brighter than I need it to be for most tasks.

dda

Newly Enlightened
Try a Dorcy 1 LED, 1aaabattery from WalMart for$6.

MicroE

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
...Unavailability of products plagues this hobby...

[/ QUOTE ]

HOBBY???
I thought that this was a religion!---Marc

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was your techie question about the Ultra?

As far as decent single cell lights go, theres the Ultra which would be my number one choice. And there's the Dorcy 1xAAA light.

If you aren't absolutely set on a single LED light, the Dorcy 1xAA 3LED light is available at many Target stores for $10. I like the Ultra better but when you figure in shipping, I'm not so sure. And the Xnovas are available that look like mini Inova X5Ts. They are a little hit and miss but they're cheap enough to just buy like five of them, keep the best two and give the rest away as gifts. Very bright little lights and last a long time on a 2500 mAh NiMH cell.

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
How to mod?

Okay, I've been reading the reviews of the QIII, very nice, but really way bright for me, for a EDC. How do you mod to give it a few options? I don't like a cyclical switch. Nice sale prices on Battery Station...

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The QIII is good and lots of people like it for EDC. If it is too bright then there is always the QI or the almost identical light sold by Sharper Image.

As far as choosing what to buy, here is what I did. I'm new at this so I did lots of reading and comparing on flashlightreviews.com. Once I decided some that I was interested in I started reading about them here. Sometimes it takes a little searching. Then I bought a couple of models and went from there. You might have to buy a couple to get exactly what you want but the trouble is that you won't know exactly what you want until you do that. You can probably use more than one anyway, and if you can't you can sell the ones you don't need here.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
If you buy a candle there will be arguments over which brand of candle puts out the most candle power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny! Has there been a post about which candle has the best throw? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Our power went out the other day and we were fishing for candles. We had a bunch of flashlights, but all the ones we grabbed in the dark were either infrared or ultraviolet, the white ones must not have had batteries in them, duh!