SF U2's Level adjustment ring

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF U2\'s Level adjustment ring

Got a SureFire U2 a couple of weeks ago! I was wondering if other U2 owners think that the rings movement should be easier? Right now I can move it with my thumb and forefinger but it isn't easy! Most of the time, it's a two handed operation.

Once click ON and held like a knife, shouldn't one be able to adjust the light level with easy?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF U2\'s Level adjustment ring

Someone on another thread assumed that the ring has some self-lubing properties. Don't know if it's true, but my ring became easier over time. I can now easily move it with one hand, which was very difficult at the start.

turbodog

Flashaholic

no self lube properties

you might try getting it really hot..... this will somewhat liquify the grease under there and let it flow to the o-rings. they are the source of friction

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
Got a SureFire U2 a couple of weeks ago! I was wondering if other U2 owners think that the rings movement should be easier? Right now I can move it with my thumb and forefinger but it isn't easy! Most of the time, it's a two handed operation.

Once click ON and held like a knife, shouldn't one be able to adjust the light level with easy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell your dealer to make sure he sends you the L2 next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The U2's selector ring usually requires two hands and is stiff to prevent it from moving in transit. There was another school of thought that decried the fact that "the ring will move in the pocket" - it doesn't, not in the past month that I've carried the U2.

OTOH, if speed is of the utmost essence, the L2 may be a much better bet. It offers the one-handed operation some prefer, and now I understand why it still continues to exist even with the U2 around.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell your dealer to make sure he sends you the L2 next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The U2's selector ring usually requires two hands and is stiff to prevent it from moving in transit. There was another school of thought that decried the fact that "the ring will move in the pocket" - it doesn't, not in the past month that I've carried the U2.

OTOH, if speed is of the utmost essence, the L2 may be a much better bet. It offers the one-handed operation some prefer, and now I understand why it still continues to exist even with the U2 around.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have it a bit looser than tight myself! I have emailed Sentry Solutions and asked about using Tuf-Glide on "O" rings which I mentioned in the Lube Thread.

Funny, I just got email from my U2 dealer. He's about had it with SureFire and about to stop carrying their products!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be sure to let us know what Sentry says. Tuf-glide may, however, be a little too "thick" to seep down to the ring(s). You might need to heat it.

Regardless, are you sure to want to use it on an o-ring that isn't user-replaceable? Tuf-Glide (and Militec-1) are designed for lubricating metal. SInce they bond to metal, I suspect there could be some reaction with rubber, and it might not be the reaction that you want. When Tuf-Glide's carrier (mineral spirits) evaporates, it might also dry out the rubber. You definitely don't want that to happen! They do say it's safe on wood and plastic, so it might be safe. I'd make darn sure first, though.

If/when I need to, I'll use either some heated silicon dielectric grease, or a liquid teflon. I know both of those are okay on rubber o-rings.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I used mobil 1 synthetic 10/30 motor oil and have had no problems so far.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

Except that Surefire specifically says in one of my instruction sheets not to use mineral oil on O-rings. I think its taking a chance to use that motor oil.

AlecGold

Enlightened

you need to use a silicon oil. there have been some threads about it, but a tiny bit of silicon oil and it is smooth as my nephews 4 months old behind.

those petrol-based oils do no good to the o-rings of your flashlight.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

No answer from Sentry Solutions on the Tuf-Glide but I found a site that gave compatibilty for different "O" ring materials and chemicals. The rating was from 1-4, 1 being the best, 4 is don't use it.

The most often used material is buna.

Motor oil contains mineral oil gets a 4. Mineral spirits the carrier in Tuf-Glide or paint thinner gets a 4 also.

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened

You guys need stronger hands. There is no need to lube it. It will loosen over time but will still take some effort to use with one hand.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

Answer from Sentry Solutions:

William,

Thanks for your interest in our products.

The "carrier" for the active ingredients in TUF-GLIDE is a type of mineral spirits. If you are talking about the type of contact an "O" ring would have with a metal surface treated with TUF-GLIDE there is absolutely no problem.

You should not soak 'O' rings with TUF-GLIDE.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely, Stop By Booth 8529 at SHOT '05
Mark Mrozek [mail to: [email protected] ]
Sentry Solutions Ltd.
33 South Commercial St., Suite 401
Manchester, NH 03101 USA
603/626-8888 Fax 603/626-8889
Toll Free Order Line 1-800-546-8049 http://www.sentrysolutions.com On Guard against Corrosion, Friction and Wear.

Seems like that you'd have to soak the "O" rings to get the liquid past them!