Newby--hoping to shed some light on questions.

sniper

Enlightened
Hello: I've been lurking for a while, and I never knew there were so many people interested in flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif WOW!
My flashlight stable is rather modest. I have The little rectangular Duracell 2AA that I bought after seeing a review in the "Whole Earth Catalog"(remember that?)--the first one. That had to be the late 70's or so. It has never leaked, is dead reliable, and bright. It has lived in my shaving kit for when I travel. I also have a Mini Mag that I won somewhere, and a three cell Mag Light, bought about 25 years ago.
For Christmas, my wife just gave me a combination Incandescent/led flashlight/fluorescent lantern that she saw on QVC, and thought I'd like. I do, Even if the lantern part blew after less than 15 minutes' use. I'm going to keep it, though, because she bought it for me, and my momma didn't raise any dumb kids.

But! after due consideration, and reading how much fun you guys have, playing with your lights and all, I need some more lights! (Is this where that guy chimes in , saying "HIDE your wallet, and RUN AWAY"?)

Both of the Mags are dim and yellowish, even with a bulb change and new batteries. Is this a common with older Mag lights, does it indicate corrosion or other problems creating resistance in the system? I emailed the factory, but they don't answer. The bezel looks like I probably cross threaded it, and I can't get it off. Sound like time for a new light?

I want to replace the mini-mag with something of better brightness, and longer battery life. I never have been impressed with the focus capability--I'd rather just light it off and go! I am considering:

A new mini mag with an Opalec or Inretech LED module, or

a Gerber Trio, or

A Lightwave 2100, or, despite what seems to me to be an awfully short battery life,

A Streamlight Luxeon JR., or the Elektrolumens XM-3.

The light will be for general use around the home, but will be taken camping, or in my tackle box, or on me for hunting, or in my briefcase, or maybe kept in the car for emergencies. It looks like almost anything will out perform what I have now, and I do like to see what is going to jump out of the bushes and grab me!
Any recommendations will be welcome.

greenLED

Flashaholic
By better brightness you mean brighter, or better beam quality? Brighter doesn't go in hand with longer batt life.

The Opalec will give you looong runtime and dimmer output than a "sammie" from Wayne's shoppe.

I haven't seen the Trio yet, but I assume the beam is smooth and long runtime (it's based on the Infinity light which has long runtime). It doesn't have the low batt indicator of the Opalec though. I would recommend it just 'cuz it's a CMG-derived product and I trusted them.

I can't comment on the other lights. In general a Luxeon light will be brighter but with longer runtime than a 5mm LED light. Also, be aware that 'round CPF "runtime" only counts to 50% of initial brightness, but you still may have hours of useful light to navigate around the house, etc. People have different brightness needs, so beware!

Almost forgot:
The sandwich shoppe

MrMom

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF sniper.

Run if you can. Soon you wife will be questioning your sanity as your wallet lightens.

Of the lights you mentioned start with the Opalec Newbeam for dim long runs and go with either SL-Jr or XM-3 for throw using common batts.

Once you have played with, excuse me, used these good ole stand bys start to look at the more exotic$ lights.

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
By better brightness you mean brighter, or better beam quality?

Don't know the difference, but I think maybe both. I think the Mini Mag has both poor brightness and beam quality. I'd like whatever I get to light up my living room more brightly than my Mini does,and if it had better distance, (throw?)I wouldn't be disappointed. (No way I'm going outside to try something more detailed--It's COLD!)

14C

Enlightened
If you're like me you'll be happier than a frog in a puddle with a sandwhich from the Shoppe.

Of course you will go straight to flashlight HELL from there...LOL

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I recommend the Opalec NewBeam and a Sandwich for MiniMags. I also recommend that you order glass lenses and Kroll switches when you order your Sandwich. You could substitute a Streamlight Junior Luxeon for the MiniMag with a Sandwich.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Sniper,

I will echo the welcome to CPF.

I am going to go off track here and steer you in a new direction...

I think you should pick up a Nuwai Q3. It runs about $45. It is quite bright for such a small package. It will blow both of your Mag Lite's away and transform your concepts of flashlights.

The long runtime requirement can be done by getting a dozen CR123's from BatteryStation or SureFire.

Tom

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
though expensive, the sandwiches, in particular the BB300/BB400/Madmax lite, will give a great balance of runtime and brightness.
plus, you can choose the optic that suits your needs: Fraen for a tight-ish spot and little spill, NX05 moderate spot with medium spill, S017XA for a tight and bright central spot with huge spill.

the opalec is not incredibly bright, but it is one of my most used lights in and around the home, for close-up stuff.
the gerber trio is similar to the opalec in brightness, but is probably a bit brighter. it is also bluer, perhaps due to overdriving the led's.

lastly, i should recommend another amazing light: UK4AAeLED. $20 from brightguy, only a bit bigger than a mag, 13+hrs regulated runtime, roughly 3x the lux of an opalec, nice switch, water resistant, etc. easy to pocket, due to the flat shape.
this is a serious little light, and worth every penny.
you can add a 2w incan assembly for ~$6, or a 4W for ~$8.

Bob

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome.
I would suggest getting on Lambda's MiniPro III list. You will get brighter and longer run times. You also keep you focusing capabilities with it.

mut

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'll second the Lambda list! Ot is my EDC!

I'll third or whatever the Opalec module. It isn't very bright, but lasts a loooong time and you don't NEED a ton of light in total darkness!

I think you might like the XM3 too.

ANY sammie you might consider NEEDS to be LUXIII! I have a 1W Madmax+ sammie that is bright but has a rather wicked pinkish/purpleish tint. NONE of my LUXIII lights have THAT problem! Also I think you'd like a reflector better than an optic... I KNOW I do!!!