MagLite Magnum Star Xenon

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know if this bulb has a watt's rating. I did a quick look on the net and I did not see any stat's on this lamp. I did check an amperage reading on my trusty ole' Radio Shack DMM and got .905a using 4 D-Cell Alkalines.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duke, from what I understand, you would multiply the amps x nominal voltage for a wattage rating. From what I've seen recently, all Mag bulbs can pull somewhere around .8A or.9A across the board. So, in this case, it would be 6V nominal times .9A equals 5.4W. This sounds powerful until you take into consideration that alks can only maintain this level for a brief period before the voltage collapses, dimming and yellowing the output. Thats why Mag bulbs are actually fairly respectable, superbulbs not included, if driven or overdriven with Nimh which can maintain voltage and current to specs.

I have a cheapie 5 buck plastic ROV 4AA lantern that I get good output from by using Nimh and a Mag 3 cell bulb.

RussH

Enlightened
Carley lamps makes them, complete info is in their catalog. The ratings are of course different depending on the quantity of batteries the bulb is designed for, and whether or not the batteries are rechargeable, among other things.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks PaulR - I expect to receive my order of GH24 Lamps, perhaps today and was kind of wondering if the difference would be dramatic over the MagLite Magnum Star? My guess is that it would since the lamp is rated at 10watts versus 4.05watts of the MagLite Magnum Star Lamp. Besides, I intend to run the GH24 with 5 C Cell NiMH's in a 4D Host.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dukester,

There is definititely a huge improvement from the Mag bulbs to the GH24. You will like it a lot. I consider the GH24, Carley 1499, and WA 1183 the "2C Mag bulbs". There is another step up to the Carley 1499 and from what I hear, another step again to the WA version. (The 1183) (However the 1183 is a low voltage, 4.7volt, high current, 3.85 Amp lamp.)That makes it an awesome bulb in a 2C running 4 1/2 subC cells.

Bill