mA for more brightness?

flashniac

Newly Enlightened
I have an LED that is 20mA, someone told me that this was to little LED to match an incandescent bulb? How many mA do I need to mod a decent 2D flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want the brightness to match your 2D flashlight, you need luxeon, or multiple leds. 20 mA is basically the optimum current for 5mm led (i assume that is what you have). higher than that and the led are going to break sooner.

mike101

Newly Enlightened
20 mA is the recommanded constant current that the LED can bear. Most of the 5 mm LEDs can work under 60 to 80 mA of pulse current and light up much brighter. That needs a voltage or current regulated cicuit.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto ShiftD's response. You need a Luxeon based approach for light > 2D bulb flashlight.

Pablo

Newly Enlightened
The current will be 350mA and 700mA,if you use lwatt or 3watt luxeon led .

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not only a matter of how much mA you use but what you do with the photons that come out of the emitter. Using an efficient refector can do wonders in making a bright light. The picture on the right was using a Madmax WO Sandwich and a single AA sized 14500 rechargeable Li-ion cell. I think the WO runs at 800mA. It has a heck of a throw because of an efficient reflector.

micromag_sniper.jpg