Mundane question - a really GOOD flourescent?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just what it says, if that's not an oxymoron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I am looking for a very nice and durable area light, which would probably be a flourescent, also likely CCFL. It can have a LED, incan or combo head on it as well. Size isn't really an issue. It can run from AAs to Ds or rechargables - I don't care. I want it to be able to survive at least some wet - visualize changing a tire at night in a rainstorm. Cost is also not much of an issue. I EDC a couple of Surefires (a C3 with P91 lamphead assy, and an L4) and a Lionheart, so that gives you an idea on what I will willingly spend on my insanity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TIA

Mike

SunSlinger

Newly Enlightened
These Coleman lights are very good & not too expensive. Nice & bright, you don't have to light it with a match either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use rechargeable batteries in mine.

The only drawback is that you get less light when it's very cold out...

Overall, it's a good light & well worth the money, even if you just keep it around for emergencies.
Coleman Light

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
one of the cheapest tire changing flourescents is a cigarette lighter plugin flourescent tube light. You can get them for perhaps $5 at places and don't have to worry about batteries if your car battery is alive. There are few CCFL based lights such as the eveready arcwhite type(led versions also) and coleman has a pocket CCFL flip lantern that is like an old star trek communicator. You can pick up regular flourescent lanterns at stores, the tube wattage is the easiest gauge of output on most. Also there is evereadys 4D folding lantern that is a bit pricey but very useful. For changing a tire 4watts is fine, most CCFL AA based lights are about ~4-5 watts equivelent. I like AA based flourescent lights for small emergencies, most tend to give you 6+ hours of decent runtime and don't take up much room and you can put them in a pocket to keep them warm in the winter.