TIVO help needed

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I got a TIVO for Christmas and I need to make a decision to either 1) continue with the monthly TV Guide, 2) pay for the Lifetime TV Guide, or 3) Look for another online provider of that information.

What do you guys recommend? If I go with another online TV Guide, will I be able to "click" on shows to record or do I need to set that up manually?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

unnerv

Enlightened
with Tivo, you need to have one of their service types, either the monthly or the Lifetime. It is kinda like a cell phone. You can have the hardware, but without the service you really can't use the hardware for anything. Things to consider when choosing the service is that the lifetime is not your lifetime, but the lifetime of the Tivo hardware. If your tivo box dies in a year and a half and you have the lifetime service, you now either have to pay to have the Tivo repaired, or get a new Tivo with new service.

I got a Tivo a couple of years ago as a gift and the giver also paid for the lifetime service. At the time the lifetime service was $250 (I think it is now $300.) I have had my Tivo now for two years and the lifetime service has paid for itself in 19 months, so until this box dies I am ahead of the game.

Another thing to consider is since the lifetime subscription is not transferable to a new box, should you choose to upgrade later to a newer model you will be loosing your lifetime subscription when you get rid of the old one (or you could be the classic CPF'er that keeps both.)

Just a few things to keep in mind.

mrsinbad

Enlightened
There is a Basic TIVO service that is free, but has very limited functionality, so, I will be able to see programs 3 days ahead with no Season Passes, etc. I understand there are other online services... but can they interface with my TIVO and set up recordings? Free?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mrsinbad said:
There is a Basic TIVO service that is free, but has very limited functionality, so, I will be able to see programs 3 days ahead with no Season Passes, etc. I understand there are other online services... but can they interface with my TIVO and set up recordings? Free?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. To use the TiVo you will need to paid the subscription fee. I think it's like $13 a month for the standalones, but I'm not certain. I have TiVo built into my DTV satellite receiver, and it's only $4.99 per month regardless of how many TiVos you have on your account ( I have three /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif). It would be nice if you didn't have to pay for the service, but I think you will find that it is well worth the money. Being able to watch what you want, when you want, is really great!

Peter

unnerv

Enlightened
I was not aware of the Basic Tivo service, that must be something new. As far as interfacing Tivo to another service I am almost positive that won't work. They don't make much if anything on the hardware and are relying on the service for their income.

Alot of the other free guides out there are for if you build your own PVR using a computer with a tv tuner card. I have friends that do that, but paid much more for the hardware than I have for my hardware and service.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TiVo software is what makes it the best PVR/DVR available right now. It's worth the $...

Peter

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my sis had 1 it was pretty cool it came with satlite to.the instaler said it has one that can controll 2 tv,s and ya can even watch didfent things on both tv,s. weird i think he said it did it wirelesssly.

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Here is the link that compares the free Basic TIVO service with the $12.95 monthly TIVO Plus plans....

Other pluses is the new TIVO To Go program to allow you to download shows to your network for later viewing or burning onto DVD's.

TIVO Service Plans

So far, it looks like I'm better off biting the bullet on the $300 for the lifetime service. Payback is 2 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Thanks for all your resplies so far.

unnerv

Enlightened
I see now, the Basic is for the DVD integrated models. In my opinion you are missing the best features of Tivo. The Search by Title, Season Pass, Smart recording Options and Wishlists are what allow Tivo to really shine. You are definately not getting the Tivo experience with Basic. Once you get one of the full service plans you won't know how to (or at least won't want to) watch TV without it.

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I already have the TIVO Plus service as a gift subscription so I am fully addicted... BTW there has been a few nights already where I was up till 2:30 AM deleting and watching snippets of recorded programs... (we need a graemlin with bags under their eyes...)

I guess I should just get the Lifetime Subscription service, even if it's based on the life of the DVR and not the owner. I'm just balking at the $300 I gotta shell out. Thaks so much guys.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, is it smart enough so that when you tell it to record a sports event of unknown time length at the start like a baseball game, it knows when it ends?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, unfortunately it is not. The TiVo is only as good as the guide data it relies on. It has no way of knowing if a sporting event has gone into overtime. It does have an option of "padding" the end of the recording, but you have to make your decision about how long you think the game might go, and enter it beforehand.

Peter