Problem with Kl1 NEED HELP!

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recieved my new Kl1 in the mail. I put it on my e1e then e2e and the light began to flicker! I tried cleaning the threads and applying additional force to secure the head. The light still flickered. I think there may be a problem with the central connection on the LED. What should I do!?!

-tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried fresh batteries? Perhaps it's falling out of regulation?

If you don't want to wait for SF to replace it, perhaps a modder of the KL1's on here could take a look at it??

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I know the problem. If i push the head just slightly to the side.. it works like new. The head isnt connected correctly with the body. If anyone could help me i would be very greatful. I really dont want to wait for Surefire. It has taken them more than a week to fix my brother's L4. I HATE WAITING.

-tom

redcar

Enlightened
cornkid,

Sorry to hear you're having such bad luck with Surefire, to include losing your first one. I missed the episode with your brother's L4, sounds like bad karma...

Anyway... my KL1 needs to be fully seated before it will work, looks like there is a contact ring on the KL1 that mates with the top, unanodized part of the EXe body. Make sure that top part and the contact ring are clean and dry. Also, if you have a tight spring on your cap, you might try backing it off a few turns, seat the KL1 head firmly, then tighten the cap/switch back down and give it a whirl. I also like the idea of IsaacHayes of trying new batteries. You might also check the contacts on those batteries to make sure they're clean. Do you have a Multi-meter? Can you check the voltage on those batteries? Just checked a couple of older batteries here and at 2.8v my new KL1 works just fine and at 2.6v it is quite a bit dimmer. Not sure at what levels they may strobe or dim or whatever. Probably would have some variance according to the individual LED.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
The voltage is at 3.28 Volts and I tried everything you just said before I posted. I NOW know the problem.

I called up Surefire and they told me that this is not an isolated occasion. They told me to push the clip against a hard surface to get a connection. After trying and failing over and over again.. I decided to send it to them. I will send it either today or tomorrow. I STILL LOVE SUREFIRE. I just hope that they can fix it for me...

-tom

redcar

Enlightened
Oh, I see.. it is the pocket clip that is not fully seated in it's slot that is not letting the KL1 all the way down. Is it the same on both your E1e and E2e?

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Cornkid,

Am I correct in saying that the KL1 head worked on your E1e body, and not on the E2e body? And if I am correct, was the stock clip on the E2e, or was it the longer clip that was sent to you from Surefire that you replaced?

Also, what happened to your brothers L4? I do not recall reading about what might have gone wrong with it on the forums.

I hope you get you lights back, up, and running, as soon as possible.

Thanks,
John

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
It did NOT work on both!. It was NOT the clip's fault. I already messed with that. I think the contacts just werent completey touching eachother.

My brother's L4 had some humidity within it's kl4 head. He hated the build up of water within his light, so he sent it in.

-tom

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Tom,

Thanks for letting us know, and please keep us updated so we all know when the lights are back, and working 100%.

John

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
QUOTE:
Tom,

Thanks for letting us know, and please keep us updated so we all know when the lights are back, and working 100%.

John

-----

Well.... I dont think I will be recieving mine within the next month. They are going VERY slowly.

-tom