Dimmable Tri-LuxIII FatMag2C/SO20XA

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOD016finishedlightpic1smallcpf.jpg

Hey guys, time to show you my dimmable Tri-LuxIII FatMag! Pewter Mag2C, 3xLuxIII TV0J stars + 3xSO20XA reflectors, custom-made heatsink, Fatman driver, external dimming potentiometer, UCL lens and running on 2Pila150A batteries in a custom-made battery holder.

MOD016sinkwithstarsandreflectorspicz9CPF.jpg
MOD016sinkinMagheadpic1CPF.jpg
MOD016sinkinMagheadpic2CPF.jpg

MOD016FatManinsinkpic4CPF.jpg
MOD016finishedlightpic9CPF.jpg
MOD016sinkwithstarsandreflectorspicz4CPF.jpg

The heatsink with the stars and the reflectors on top and the Fatman driver at the bottom is setup as a drop-in module for the MagC. Of course some holes have to be drilled in the Mag head and threaded to screw down the sink. The lower part of the sink which contains the Fatman driver goes into the top of the Mag body to provide additional heat sinking. The head is epoxied to the body to prevent twisting and breaking the wires.

The trimpot of the Fatman driver was adjusted to limit the current through the three in series connected LED's to 900mA. Dimming control is provided by an external potentiometer. Ie low = 30 mA; Ie midpoint = 350mA and Ie high = 900 mA.

I made a special battery holder for using Pila150A batteries in the Mag2C. A rod of Ertalon was machined to the inside diameter of the Mag. The lower end was made a little bit smaller in diameter because it goes into the tailcap. The tailcap needed some machining too to allow the spring to be seated 12mm deeper into the cap. No need to cut the spring anymore! The end of the holder was closed with an aluminium disk to protect the easily damaged wrapping of the Pila's.

MOD016BeamshotTri-LuxIIIvsFlexMagLuxIIImax2CPF.jpg

Beamshot at maximum brightness. Distance from the flashlights to the wall was 2m.

Lumens output: 3x (67.2 - 87.4) = 201.6 – 262.2 Lumens.
Lux reading at 1m using Meterman LM631: 300-5150 Lux.

Runtime: 43 minutes in regulation on 2Pila150A batteries on max brightness.

A few more pictures can be seen here .

You can read more about the Fatman driver here and here .

Thanks to George for this very nice driver!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks for looking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dimmable Tri-LuxIII FatMag

Nice. I like the aluminum on the end of the tube to protect the batteries from the strong mean mag spring!!
I like the screws to hold down the HS. Did you get that idea from my thread I had?

What keeps the head from turning/twisting the wires?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

The head is epoxied to the body to prevent twisting and breaking the wires. Since the head is epoxied to the body screwing the sink into the head is the only possibility left to have access to the internals of the light. So, to answer your question, no I did find this myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice Freddy. Happen to have any beamshots? I'm curious to see how it looks.

Take care to keep those wings from melting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Endeavour said:
Very nice Freddy. Happen to have any beamshots? I'm curious to see how it looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beamshots will be added later but I can tell you the beam is very nice. Compared to a W-binned LuxV in the stock Mag head you get more Lumens, no donut hole and at least the same throw.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Endeavour said:
Take care to keep those wings from melting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif that's why I'm using huge sinks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, the LED's are connected in series, so the Fatman driver is pushing 900mA (max) through each LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Typical icarus quality.
Nice clean and make me want one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice professional looking job there.

Guess you'll be sad to know that I have about 6 Fatman drivers left before I run out of PCB's.

Guess you may be happy to know I have just okayed another run of Fatman PCBs.

The new Fatman PCB will have a couple of tweaks, a slightly larger trimmer resistor (to make it easier to adjust), an increase in the onboard trimmer pot resistance (to allow a bit higher current setting) and a higher current rated schottky (same as used on hotbeam's obeseman version). So, all new Fatman drivers will be Obeseman drivers - but I'll stick with the Fatman name I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

george.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! That's really nice! When you make them available to the rest of us, I'll take one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regulated with variable power, HUHHUHUHUHUH!! *goes to pieces* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

I've run out of words.... that is just one incredibly clean, beautiful and well engineered light.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

that's awesome.. i was trying to make a 3-up IMS20 light, but mine will be more like pack of cards in size.. however the current gen. of fatman can only put out about 7.5W from a single LiON batt.. my source of choice for this light (since it's only 1/4 x 1 1/3 x 2 1/4 battery!).. i could only get 700mA through all three lux's.. so.. i switched to 2 luxes and can max the driver at 1000mA.. in the first tests it outupt a solid 2500 lux! whooo hoo.. not sure how this one pulled off 5000+ with only 3.. my megasonic with 4 lux 3s.. 3 in 17mm and one in a 27 only pulls about 4000.. so awesome job.. i'll keep mega with the split 17/27 combo though it's meant to be more of a flood light for working.. http://rouse.com/mega for anybody that's not seen it yet.

looks like a pretty clean install of the pot.. i presume it's a 50k log pot like george recommends? did you tap the body and thread it in there? nice fit n finish wonderful mod!

-awr

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy, modamag, gregw, georges80, MSaxatilus
Thanks for the nice words. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MSaxatilus said:
Wow! That's really nice! When you make them available to the rest of us, I'll take one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll build a few turnkey Tri-LuxIII FatMag's.
Details will be posted tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KingSmono

Enlightened

Are there any other possible battery configurations that can be used with this set-up? Possibly 3 x 123a? What would the approx runtime be with 123as too? Thanks