Why a L1?

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Why is it that I think I want an L1? I know I like Surefire lights. I love my G2 and I just recently got my first LED in an Inova X5T (green), however, I am feeling the call for a Surefire LED. I originally wanted an A2 with red LEDs but, this is a wee bit out of my price range right now. I saw a L1 at a decent price and started to think about it. Small, bright (I know not as bright as the A2 or my G2s) and runs for quite some time on one battery. The more I have looked at the L1 and compared them to the other Surefire LEDs the more I want it. Is this normal? Should I just wait and save for the A2? Why am I drawn to the L1 more so then the other Surefire LED models? HELP, I THINK I AM DEVELOPING SOME SORT OF ADDICTION!

rgc

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 is a tough, useful little light. I find I use my L1 most often of all my lights. Its not pretty, so I don't worry about banging it up. I can cram it in my pocket and not worry about it. Its not too big to hold in my mouth briefly if I need two hands. Its low level is perfect for routine use indoors at night, and its plenty bright when needed. The beam isn't too tight, so that too makes it good indoors or close work. I don't think you would regret getting an L1.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the L1 has the distinction of being Surefire's longest running light (on the low setting) at around 50 hours on one battery, but it is also their lowest output light (also on the low settiing). I find it one of the more useful Surefires I have, especially when coupled with a brighter SF incan like an E2e or 6P. The low setting is great for reading at night, and will last for many many hours on the low setting. I've gotten rid of most of my SF lights, but I'm definitely keeping my L1.

-Keith

cia

Newly Enlightened
I have my second L1 in the mail.
Just had to see what the new style was like.

I love the L1 size, duel output and run time.

The L1 is just one of them things you have to get yourself to really understand what it's all about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you don't like it there is the B/S/T part of the forums.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
You'll like the L1. It's a small, practical light, and the low output is great for walking around the house or campsite without disturbing others who are sleeping. It's fantastic.

You might also check out the e1e/KL1 combination. This is a single output level light, but it's significantly smaller than the L1. I have one of these as well, and it's terrific too.

Either one is pretty easy to EDC. Kind of comes down to form-factor vs. functionality as to which is better.

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I did look at the E1e + KL1, however, the L1 is a little bigger, has the two stages and best of all it costs less. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rgc

Newly Enlightened
I thought that no one had the E1L in stock yet . . . hmmmm.

Unless they go for under $100 a L1 with two stages will still be on the top of my list (at least at this point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)as you can get an L1 for $100. Plus, I am kind of leaning towards a L1 with a red LED.

Thanks for reminding me of the up coming option . . .

rgc

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those that might be deciding between the L1 and the E1L, the size of the E1L (or E1E+KL1) is smaller than the L1 but keep in mind, the L1 has a lot more flood and the latest KL1s is a very, very tight spot type of output.

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Another good point as I don't seem to have any lights with great flood except the X5T and I believe the flood and general light quanity and quality should be better with the L1.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
rgc said:
Plus, I am kind of leaning towards a L1 with a red LED.

rgc

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of those - it's a good choice. I really like mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cornkid said:
WHat do you need a red one for?

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

They are useful if you want to maintain your dark adapted vision. I use mine at a dark-sky astronomy site. I'm not sure why rgc wants one. Maybe he's not old like me and his dark adapted vision is useful for something!

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Green will still take away your dark adaptation (maybe not as much as white or other colours). Green is useful in the woods as it helps to show details a lot better especially around foliage, at least that is what I have been told.

Yes, red will definitely help with preserving my night sight (especially on low). Deer and other animal can't see the red light which helps going to or coming from the woods on a hunt. And a nice bright red flood light would just be cool.

My only problem now is that if my wife see me paying this much for a light no quarter will be asked for and no quarter will be given . . . .

I need to stop thinking about the L1.

rgc

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own any Surefire LEDs but if I were to buy one, it would almost definately be an L1. I've played with one for a time and found the low setting to be slightly lower than ideal for my own uses... I'd prefer about 2 or 3 times the bightness on low. But the high setting is very impressive for a single 123 light.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
rgc said:
Green will still take away your dark adaptation (maybe not as much as white or other colours).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it takes it away every bit as much as other colors. In fact, it's probably worse as your eyes are more senstive to green light.

[ QUOTE ]

My only problem now is that if my wife see me paying this much for a light no quarter will be asked for and no quarter will be given . . . .

I need to stop thinking about the L1.

rgc

[/ QUOTE ]

Ways to justify your light:
1. If you are hiking or hunting at night, and you are alone, out in the woods, and your flashlight fails, you can risk serious injury. ONE trip to the emergency room will cost a lot more than an L1. This is the toughest duty red LED light I'm aware of. Good equipment is worth it when your safety is on the line. Show her the thread on the L4 that got chewed up by the snow-blower, and then take your $1 2D cell light, whack it on the ground a few times til it doesn't work anymore, and ask her which one she'd rather have your life depend on?
2. Other hobbies can be much more expensive than this. You can spend a ton of money on things like golf, cars, computers, etc. (We'll conveniently forget about Maxabeam and "The Beast" for the purposes of this rhetorical exercise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif) Hey, how much does it cost for two to attend a single NFL or NBA game?
3. The argument of last resort - Shoes and purses. I don't know about your wife, but some of my wife's purses cost more than a SF U2, and there's a couple she's wanted (but doesn't have) that cost more than "The Beast." Note: You should be at Defcon 3 before resorting to this argument.

As you can tell, my other hobby is rationalizing things...