Quick ot wiring question

amp

Newly Enlightened
Moderators - This has nothing to do with flashlights but this is the only electronics related forum I frequent - sorry.

I have a bilge pump which pulls 2.6A at it's spec'd voltage of 13.6. My source is 14.5V. Am I correct in believing I can just throw a resistor in series to drop the voltage down? What size/type of resistor should I get? The fuse on the pump is 4A, so I guess that's the max it would ever need to sustain.

Thanks, I come from the Wile E Coyote school of electronics and have no idea what I'm doing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Again, apologies if this is the wrong place for this. I suppose I could have put it in Knives/Multi-tools/Watches
Gadgets/Non-flashlight Electronics, but that seems to be more of a review forum.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
While you can do this, it's probably not necessary.

Most electrical parts (not electronic, but electrical) are designed so that they work properly even with the voltage off by 10 percent. As it's just a pump, it may run a little faster, but it should not harm it. It's pretty common to see 14.5 volts when a battery is charging in your car or boat.

Hope that helps.

Daniel

amp

Newly Enlightened
Well, I guess that makes sense since my 14.5v source is the battery charger off of an old UPS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Most likely the pump will just run faster and possibly take a little less current but electrical motors should be ok at 10% off spec, I cannot voice for mechanism attached to motors going 10% faster like gears, pumping mechanisms etc but my guess is they should fare well also unless they are borderline cheaply made and wear out quickly anyway.