UK E-LED

Christoefor

Newly Enlightened
Just put in 4 lithum AA cells and the light is much brighter, becoming my favorite around the house light. Brighter is good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UK4AAA eLed is really a good light. It won't knock your socks off in the brightness department, but it's adequate for most indoor uses and some outdoor ones too. And you gotta love that regulation that gives constant brightness for 11 hours. That'll probably be quite a bit longer with the lithiums. And it's made in USA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Christoefor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply, 11 hours of constant brightness is pretty long compared to my surefire lights. Oh it is much lighter too. A win win situation. Curious to see what the run time will be now.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did a brightness comparison on running 3 vs. 4 alkaline cells on my UKE 4-LED.
The light output measures almost EXACTLY the same when a dummy AA cell was substituted for one of the cells. (Causing 3 cell operation)

-I wonder if rumtime would be affected (?).

DBrier

Enlightened
I remember reading about someone getting about 18 hours using lithiums. Something about running it the freezer too.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I have 4 UK eLed lights. I do not notice appreciably more brightness with lithiums. For that matter, Idon't notice significantly more brightness with old cells v.s. fresh cells. The beauty of this light is that it produces consistent light until the batteries (whatever kind) are pretty well worn out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I could be mistaken since I don't have any kind of electronic light testers, but Alkies/Lithiums/NiHm all seem to run this bugger about the same - which suits me must fine.

jtice

Flashaholic
The UK 4AA LED has become my favorite caving light.
Great runtime, water tight, small, and just bright enough.
Yea, I take many other lights, DUH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but its my goto light for caving.

I bought 3 of them, so now me and my buddies use them cavimg

Niteowl

Enlightened
I'm getting close to breaking the $100 mark for a light, but my $20 UK 4AA eLED is one of my favorites! Guess I'm going to have to put lithiums in it and see what happens...hold on......Can't say it's brighter, but it sure is lighter.

It's been so long since I put batteries in it I forgot the reflector is a nice chunk of metal. It's all around one nice illuminating tool!

Mark

03lab

Enlightened
It's one of my favorite lights, but it shouldn't get brighter with lithiums IIRC.

paulr

Flashaholic
The eLED is tightly regulated and lithiums should give longer runtime and shelf life and better cold-weather performance, but exactly the same brightness unless the old cells are near-dead.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
I just did a brightness comparison on running 3 vs. 4 alkaline cells on my UKE 4-LED.
The light output measures almost EXACTLY the same when a dummy AA cell was substituted for one of the cells. (Causing 3 cell operation)

-I wonder if rumtime would be affected (?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it will, no free lunches. I would expect something less than 3/4 of the time for four cells. Say 7 or 8 hours?

Doug Owen

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that my UK gives the same output on alkaline or NiMH cells. I haven't tried it, but this could also be one of the very few lights that gets full output on carbon-zinc cells. Runtime would be poorer than with alkalines, of course.

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
is there any difference between the UK4AA eled and the Q40 mini eled?
the Q40 has the advantage of water proof (diving capable) but its a twistie instead of clicky

Christoefor

Newly Enlightened
Oops sure seemed brighter to me. I was running rechargeabe cells just tested them and the voltage was pretty low. I think that is why the lithiums seemed so much brighter. Sorry

Christoefor

Newly Enlightened
Oops sure seemed brighter to me. I was running rechargeabe cells just tested them and the voltage was pretty low. I think that is why the lithiums seemed so much brighter. Sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

flashlightsaregreat

Newly Enlightened
If you liked the uk4aa, you will probably really like the uk4aa unilite. I received one the other day, have been playing around with it. Works great with the included clip, clipped to the inside of your shirt, next to a button, horizontally, then you can move the head up and down. Works like a headlight. Light can also be layed down flat, and aimed with the 360 degree rotating head.

KenTaylor

Newly Enlightened
I have a UK eLED 4AA light and am very pleased with it. I am less than pleased with the (lack of) response from UK when I asked a couple of questions. See my thread titled "An open letter to Underwater Kinetics" in this forum. It has been 3 months, I have sent it twice and not had the courtesy of a reply.