Please tell me about my new L2

Disciple

Enlightened
I got a SureFire L2 in the mail yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

I soon noticed that it doesn't quite match the photos I have seen of the L2. Here you can see that the barrel of the light has flat sides. Mine does too in a way, only they are not flat, they are convex.

What does this mean about my light? I am hoping it is new, an not old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Disciple

Enlightened
No replies? I will take that as a sign it is something new, rather than something outmoded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bumpit.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised Al hasnt responded to this thread.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It is the latest version of the L2 - the tri-panel curved body style. I think it's really cool.

The "Porcupine" version in my photo above has it.

The insides are the same. The body style is all that has changed.

Al

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang it Al! Stop mocking us mere mortals with your superior collection! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Seriously, where do you get these cool toys? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L2-Porcupine like the other SureFire 'Porcupines' are for the Asian (may be only Japanese?) market. You would need to contact an Asian Dealership that has access to them in order to obtain them.

The L2-Porcupine is not mine. A friend I met at the SHOT Show this year had one in his pocket. Sometimes the most interesting lights at the show were in the pockets of those walking around... The Porcupines are not really that useful to me. I tend not to prefer the crenelated versions.

PK is the Father Christmas of "Cool Toys"...

Al

JohnM

Newly Enlightened
Looks like this new version has a fatter body and might take Pilas. Anyone know?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I have an L2 with the "new" body and like it alot. I can't seem to remove that blasted lanyard ring though. It it supposed to snap off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Disciple

Enlightened
Thank you Size15's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JohnM said:
Looks like this new version has a fatter body and might take Pilas. Anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

You got my hopes up suggesting this, so I popped open my L2. The SF123A's fit quite snug. There is just enough room for a thin piece of paper to fit around the cells. If that's enough for a Pila S color me happy, but I doubt it.

[ QUOTE ]
Cosmic Superchunk said:
I have an L2 with the "new" body and like it alot. I can't seem to remove that blasted lanyard ring though. It it supposed to snap off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It comes off. If you don't mind breaking it, just tighten the tail cap down, put a cord through the loop, and PULL. If you want to keep the ring reusable, use a small flat-head screwdriver, and pry the lip of the half without the loop up and off the half with the loop.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
You got my hopes up suggesting this, so I popped open my L2. The SF123A's fit quite snug. There is just enough room for a thin piece of paper to fit around the cells. If that's enough for a Pila S color me happy, but I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound like Pila's will work. That's good for me, I was worried I might have to buy another L2! Looks like the "porcupine" that Al has pictured is better matched HA. Does the Asian market get SF's premium or do their dealers custom order these variations? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Disciple

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
Doesn't sound like Pila's will work. That's good for me, I was worried I might have to buy another L2! Looks like the "porcupine" that Al has pictured is better matched HA. Does the Asian market get SF's premium or do their dealers custom order these variations? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the rounded sides provide enough material to bore out the body to fit a Pila S now? No chance I will try it on my only SF, but it would be an advantage of the new style.

My L2 HAIII is quite well matched.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The tri-panel body style is the only difference that I can tell. No increase in internal diameter.

The matching or otherwise of the HA colour/shade/hue is not a matter of "premium". The colour/shade/hue of the HA is what it is because the components are machined out of different pieces of bar stock, perhaps in a different CNC turning centre / different tool and then cleaned/prepared and anodised at different times. The Hard Anodisation is controlled for thickness and performance quality. The colour/shade/hue is of far less concern.

Al

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet there is someone at Surefire that would match pieces better if someone were offering more money for it to be done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif