SL4aa7LED safe with NIMH's?

specialk

Newly Enlightened
SL4aa7LED safe with NIMH\'s?

ok the streamlight 4aa7led is one of my next flashlights to buy, but the dealer has told me these lights can only be used with alkaline aa's, and using nimh aa batts will burn out the leds and void the warranty, has anybody successfully used this light with nimh batts?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SL4aa7LED safe with NIMH\'s?

It is possible to use this light with Nimh batteries. Just don't use Nimhs which are fresh from the charger or you risk burning out all the LEDs

specialk

Newly Enlightened

ok thx for the tip, but arent nimh's have a lower voltage than alkaline batteries? when my nimh's are freshly charged out of the charger my volt meter reads the peak voltage at 1.4 volts which quickly drops anyway, and alkaline aa's are 1.5 volts fresh out of the package, or could it be that the nimh's have a flat more consistent operating voltage which could overdrive and burn out the leds? and alkaline aa's voltage drops immediatley under load which will prevent overdriving the leds?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

The NiMH will over drive them for a longer time and that is the problem.

specialk

Newly Enlightened

ok i have just gotten a SL 4aa 7 led for xmas and have just put in nimh aa's and seems to work just fine, but will not leave it on for prolonged periods on the assumption that leds have a more consistent voltage under load than alkalines, which might overheat and burn out the led assembly.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened

That's interesting. I thought the warning was there to prevent people from using lithiums. I've been using NIMH for a couple of months. The most time the light has been on is for an hour. It didn't seem any hotter than with the alkalines. How long would it take to burn out the LEDs?