KL-1 on E1 vs E1E

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
For those of you attaching your KL-1 to an E1x series light, which is you're preferred body? Is it the E1 or the E1E? Is the "you want a pocket clip or you don't" the only deciding factor on why one would choose one over the other?

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
TIN,

This is subject near and dear to me. I have all the Ex and EXe bodies and a couple of KL1s so maybe I can help. First, the disclaimer: I have my E1e married to my KL1 as my EDC.

I truly believe that the sleeper bodies for the KL1 are the clipless E bodies. Everytime, and I mean every single time, you pick one up the light it is properly oriented to your hand. With the EXe clips, you need to rotate the light until it comfortably fits that groove in your hand. Once there it feels good but it isn't as instintive as the Ex bodies.

The reason I carry the E1e is that my E1 is SG instead of HA. It looks odd with the KL1. In terms of pure comfort I'd go with the E1 unless you have this need for the clip. I found that the short clip is almost useless until you put a small split ring on it. If you prefer the E2e you might want to put on the M2 clip which makes the clip useful, IMHO.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Jeff:
TIN,
Everytime, and I mean every single time, you pick one up the light is properly oriented to your hand. With the EXe clips, you need to rotate the light until it comfortably fits that groove in your hand. Once there it feels good but it isn't as instintive as the Ex bodies.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I 100% agree.
icon14.gif

bucken

Enlightened
Another one in agreement here. I find the clip almost useless, as is, and one just naturally wants to reposition it to feel comfortable. I also despise the hex head (alias, pocket shredder).

I EDC a KL1 on a GM E1, and don't find the color difference that big of a deal.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I really don't get this!

Without the E Series Elite pocketclip, I would not be able to EDC a SureFire. Simple. The Elite's clip is a significant improvement for me.
So it's E1e+KL1 (or E2e+KL1) only.

I don't understand how the Hex can shred pockets. When I have my SureFires clipped inside my trouser pocket the Hex is sticking out of my pocket. I have never experienced any "damn, I hate that hex!" moments. If the flashlight was kicking about in the bottom of your pocket, that's different. SureFire has two clip options and there are several pouches available.

Maybe I'm a freak but I also don't have any issues with how I pick up and use my SureFires with pocketclips - Either with the M2 or E1e etc, as long as the TailCap switch is pointed against my thumb (or for CombatGrips; against my thumb muscle), I have no problems.

Al

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Hey Al, Merry X'mas! I just followed your suggestion and got an E1e. I think pocketclip
is useful too. And I like hex and pyrex.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Al,

You should try the KL1 on both the EX and Exe lights.

Just close your eyes and pick up the KL1 + E1 slowly. Now roll it in your hand and imagine pressing the tail cap.

Rotate the light with the bezel towards you and away from you. Become acquinted with the light as though it were a piece of you instead of something you're holding in your hand. Become one with the form and function.

Try it with the both the clipped and unclipped lights. Try it again. Experience it again.

Let the conflict go away. Let the pain leave you and take joy in sharing your new-found appreciation.