Comments on the CMG Reactor? ...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will need to use lithiums on this one before it's brite enuff. Ususallly Alkalines won't power it up brite.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Reactor is intended for backpacking, expeditions, S&R, and such. Nerd is correct: you do need to use Lithium AAs with this one. I have one and I like it. Not as bright as the Arc LS, but better runtime. Not regulated: direct drive.

doubleganger

Enlightened
If you want it for a household light for $5 more I'd go with the Reactor III (3AA) since it's about 50% brighter than the reactor 2AA. My eyeball test showed the reactor III on alkalines takes about 3 hours to get down to about the brightness of the reactor 2AA on fresh lithiums. It runs ONLY on alkaline batteries so do NOT feed the reactor III lithiums or nimh batteries. The reactors are not especially waterproof but ok for household use.

EDIT: I've since found out that nimh batteries are ok if you wait overnight after charging
http://www.shomertec.com/item.cfm?Action=Index&variable=1021

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say that a SL 4AA 7led might be a better choice. I have a reactor I [2 AA]. I keep it in the glove box loaded with Liths due to store-ability [is that a word?] factor. I like my 4AA SL better, heck I like my PALight better but thats just me.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on if you gotten an apple or a lemon. If it's a lemon.. aw... no way it's going to compare. If you got an apple, it might just compare..